Living Night Parrot sighting in Oz?

Birds of the islands and waters of the South Pacific.
Neil Robertson

Re: Living Night Parrot sighting in Oz?

Postby Neil Robertson » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:01 am

Another link to the story published in Birdwatch, a UK birding magazine.

http://www.birdwatch.co.uk/channel/news ... te=__14552

Neil Robertson
Neil Robertson
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great birds, real birders
Mxyzptlk

Postby Mxyzptlk » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:24 am

A most excellent and balanced Birdwatch summary. Thanks Neil.

I confess I had not heard of the "nest of Princess Parrots" story. What was all that about?
Byrd

Postby Byrd » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:58 am

Mxyzptlk wrote:A most excellent and balanced Birdwatch summary. Thanks Neil.

I confess I had not heard of the "nest of Princess Parrots" story. What was all that about?

it is meant to say Paradise Parrot. Young claimed to have rediscovered that extinct species but (as per usual) refused to give any proof. It is mentioned in the following recent article, which also includes some other interesting stuff about the current night parrot situation:
http://sunshinecoastbirds.blogspot.com. ... arrot.html
Mxyzptlk

Postby Mxyzptlk » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:51 pm

Thanks for that. Princess Parrots did have me doing a double take. They are rare but I belive widely bred in captivity.

Paradise Parrots make sense. Trying to do a Takio or Takehe.

I see things have heated up:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/fe ... 6675025156

Looks like no one else is going to see the new night birds in a hurry.
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:32 am

This sounds like another giant farce, if he was so sure he'd seen it how come the photos havent been released yet?
Byrd

Postby Byrd » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:59 am

Davidthomas wrote:This sounds like another giant farce, if he was so sure he'd seen it how come the photos havent been released yet?

four photos and a video of a few seconds have been shown at the function at the Queensland Museum. No-one there was in any doubt they were genuine. But his past history does make one wonder.
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:45 am

But the lack of it being posted on the internet concerns me, I wish he had found them for conservations sake but him being so Coy on posting them on the internet makes me suspect
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:38 am

He wants to sell the rights to exclusive use of them. Not unheard of, but usually there are human celebrities involved. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, he may want to use them to start his fundraising drive to conserve the birds. He's looking for $2M I think.

I was talking to an Aussie colleague about this a few days ago and the first thing he said was "i hope he doesn't tell anyone where they are, they'll be shot in no time".
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:03 pm

Yeah agreed on your points Neil but for a man who has had many credibility issues in the past it is astounding he hasnt released a single picture, hell a single picture that doesnt even have to be the best quality gives him far more credability than making effectively unsubstantiated claims (unless you were one of the lucky few who were in Melbourne). But i agree that whatever happens the location of where he saw them needs to remain secret for the birds safety
Byrd

Postby Byrd » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:35 pm

Davidthomas wrote:Yeah agreed on your points Neil but for a man who has had many credibility issues in the past it is astounding he hasnt released a single picture, hell a single picture that doesnt even have to be the best quality gives him far more credability than making effectively unsubstantiated claims (unless you were one of the lucky few who were in Melbourne). But i agree that whatever happens the location of where he saw them needs to remain secret for the birds safety

there are two of the photos on the internet. Google Image "John Young Night Parrot" or similar and you will find at least one of them (it is overlain with "The Australian" watermarks).

Return to “South Pacific Birds”