ID thoughts wanted on some Papuan waders

Birds of the islands and waters of the South Pacific.
RussCannings

Re: ID thoughts wanted on some Papuan waders

Postby RussCannings » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:39 am

Hi Andrew,

Now that I'm seeing it on the big screen, I'm feeling a bit more cautious. Being from British Columbia (and the interior of the province), I have seen few if any dowitchers in pre-alternate molt as this typically happens before they get here (Though a few Long-bills overwinter on the coast--though I have never monitored their progress). The other option is a first-spring bird molting from juvenile plumage straight into second-basic while oversummering on the wintering grounds (Indonesia). The lack of sharpness in the photos makes it tricky for me, as it's been a few years since I've had the opportunity to study dowitchers. The loral angle of this bird is somewhat intermediate (Short-bills have a higher eye-placement on the head and more curved super) and the bill shape is somewhat hard to judge (Short-bills tend to show a downward droop in the outer third of the bill). Furthermore, it is hard to assess the scapular pattern and shape, as well as the flanks given the photo, so I wonder if you were able to make notes in the field about weather they seemed pointed/V-shaped, or more squared off? Also, does the bird have orange in the vent and lower belly as it appears on the photograph? This would be suggestive of Long-billed. The perky primaries that don't project too much also seem Long-billy but I'd also wonder if you could tell if it was in primary molt or not, and if any feathers appeared worn vs fresh? The white edging to the black bars in the rear flanks also appears more Long-billy but the chestnut cap and bill reminds me of a juv female Shortie.

Any calls heard?

Russ
Last edited by RussCannings on Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:10 pm

p.s. Can I have your permission to share these photos with some wader whizz friends who will have a more intimate knowledge of dowitcher molt in April?
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:29 pm

Thanks Russ, yes by all means ask your contacts for their opinion. I think it's a juv male long-billed dowitcher assuming ad plumage but i'd love to be proven wrong. Based on precedent (PNG, borneo, bali, india) long-billed is most likely, and they do Ofcourse breed in NE Siberia, but short-billed is always possible as a vagrant. Kicking myself I didn't take sufficient note of the call when it flushed. Thx. Ac
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:56 pm

Cheers Andrew, my last post never seemed to have appeared so I'll just say I'd lean Long-billed as well based on the apparent white edging to the black flank streaks, primary projection, orangey underparts, straight-looking bill and super, leggy appearance, and relatively squared off-looking scapulars (the fresh ones). Funny how proper sleep and a proper screen can completely change one's impression of a bird.

Will get back to you with more feedback.

Russ
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:14 pm

My contacts have been uncharacteristically shy on this bird however those who did respond were leaning Long-billed, based on many of the reasons we have discussed.

Sorry I couldn't be more definite!

Russ

p.s. Well done for documenting so many wonderful waders in an underbirded part of the world (Would love to island-hop Indonesia some day! Have only done Borneo).
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Mon May 01, 2017 8:52 pm

Thanks Russ, Phil Battley has also kindly circulated the photos around some overseas waderologists and their consensus is also long-billed dowitcher so I'm gonna submit the record with that as the ID. Many thanks for the help!

Return to “South Pacific Birds”