General random chat stuff

A place for our younger members (under 18). Other members can also join on topics relevant to the younger audience.
Oscar Thomas

Re: General random chat stuff

Postby Oscar Thomas » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:40 am

That's really lucky Liam, I have heard of it being seen in that area before, and people like Neil Fitzgerald and Glenda Rees have photos of them in paddocks, but it does seem like a strange occurence :)
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:33 pm

Liam- on ebird it seems you reported some lesser redpolls, I assume you meant common redpoll as the lesser species isn't known in NZ.
Liam Ballard

Postby Liam Ballard » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:13 pm

Oh? You can't change it can you? I use scythebill to store my birding stuff, (it's great, check it out) and I can export to ebird. Sometimes it doesn't recognise bird names (e.g. pukeko) so it asks me to tell it what I meant. Normally I just put in the Latin name but I musn't have done that... Anyway, use scythebill...
Liam Ballard
Liam Ballard

Postby Liam Ballard » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:20 pm

My eBird account is currently 'under construction' as 6 months of general tech incompetence has left checklists double-submitted, birds missed, and location errors. Hopefully I will have sorted it out soon.
Liam Ballard
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:50 pm

Just noticed the mention of redpolls and eBird. FYI: All or at least the vast majority of redpolls in NZ are in fact 'Lesser Redpolls.' Long story--don't ask! At some point, we will be moving to convert all redpoll records on eBird to Lesser (Although they may eventually be lumped anyway).

As for your tech problems Liam, are they issues with a conversation from other databases, or did eBird mess up somehow?

Russ
Liam Ballard

Postby Liam Ballard » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:58 pm

Hey Russ,
Ok, that makes sense, because my birding program said 'lesser' as well.
I'm not sure why I had some problems, but as far as I know they are fixed now, as I deleted everything off of my ebird account and resubmitted the checklists, after being corrected, from Scythebill. I also added some photos and audio (first recording of a Singing Starling apparently - any ideas as to why it hasn't turned up on the ml library?)

Thanks
Liam
Liam Ballard
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:00 am

Not sure how the audio process works, might just be a case of someone checking it off.

Russ

Return to “Young Birders”