Scientific Evidence against Rooks

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Paul Shortis

Re: Scientific Evidence against Rooks

Postby Paul Shortis » Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:31 pm

I have followed up with both Greater Wellington RC and Federated Farmers. GWRC have budgeted $45,000pa for the last five years. All years they have spent between $27,000 and $38,000 on Rook eradication with most of it spent in the Wairarapa. I approached Federated Farmers who noted Rook eradication was in the GWRC Regional Pest Management Plan but little time is spent discussing Rooks (for which I interpreted "none") at the quarterly Farmer Reference Group. As noted by a number of you, it looks like Rook eradication is an easy win rather than vital work. A number of farmers I have discussed this with are surprised any money is spent on Rooks and would rather see $45,000 spent on feral cat eradication. It seems to me the next step is to approach GWRC and ask them for the rationale behind the Rook eradication strategy and whether it could be challenged in the next Regional Plan. I have a somewhat delayed meeting with a Regional Councilor (he's never got back to me) where I will also raise the topic. As an aside, I was cogitating this issue in the wee small hours and it occurred to me that spending any rates on deemed pests that are not specified in Pest Free 2050 is a waste of funds but then feral cats aren't specified either which has always seemed particularly negligent to me. I will report back in due course!
les

Postby les » Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:36 am

it's just a question of numbers I think and back in the late 70`s in Hawkes bay there were huge flocks, and they undoubtedly did a lot of damage to crops. they are also very intelligent and farmer brown wandering out with his shotgun did little but spread them more? When they stared poisoning them they got huge numbers but it was not an exact science and if the rooks suspected something them would takeoff for places unknown! Only when they figured out by poisoning the nests they could in effect wipe them out.They are a rare sight now in Hawkes bay and they let the few survivors start a rookery then when nesting time comes you will see the helicopter with the man hanging under it?They have actually found something that they can eradicate so they are not letting go!!
nzfalcon1

Postby nzfalcon1 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:18 pm

I always enjoy and delight at the now sadly rare sight of rooks, and have always questioned the persecution they receive. I along with others I know nowadays, never report or disclose sightings for fear it just helps aid their demise.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”