Birding spots around Taupo

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
BerndHuss

Birding spots around Taupo

Postby BerndHuss » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:12 am

I will be in Taupo over the next 2 weeks doing the family Xmas thing and I would appreciate a few tips in regards of some spots to visit.
I don't know the area too well and I intend to go out looking for some birdies. Nothing in particular, but anything that we don't have here in the South Island like Whiteheads for example. Thanks
Michael Szabo

Re: Birding spots around Taupo

Postby Michael Szabo » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:19 am

Turangi is good - down by the river walk there are blue ducks sometimes near the swingbridge. I've also seen NZ falcon and whitehead there near the swingbridge and cuckoos are also possible. The area by the old wharf at Tokaanu isn't that far. That' can be good for wetland birds like fernbird and NZ dabchick and both bittern and crake also possible. Royal spoonbills and black-billed gulls also in the area plus NZ scaup and shovelers.
'New Zealand Birders' Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/857726274293085
BerndHuss

Re: Birding spots around Taupo

Postby BerndHuss » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:48 am

Thanks Michael, I'll check them out.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”