Little Owl

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
AlanShaw

Little Owl

Postby AlanShaw » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:40 am

From reading the bird protection legislation, I gather that Little Owl is a protected species in New Zealand. I find this rather odd for an introduced species. Can anyone enlighten me as to why this species is on the protected list?
Byrd

Re: Little Owl

Postby Byrd » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:14 pm

I think it is to do with its similarity to the morepork (i.e. if the little owl wasn't protected there would be lots of "mistaken" killings of morepork)...something like that.
AlanShaw

Postby AlanShaw » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:04 pm

Thanks for the reply, Byrd. I must admit that's an angle I hadn't thought of.
simon.fordham

Postby simon.fordham » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:32 pm

The little owl is listed on Schedule 2 of the Wildlife Act, i.e. it is partially protected.

As I understand it, partially protected wildlife can only be despatched if they are damaging your property.

Cheers
Simon
AlanShaw

Postby AlanShaw » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:03 am

Thanks Simon, you've just answered my next question.( ie what is implied by partial protection)
SomesBirder

Postby SomesBirder » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:44 am

Last year I saw someone on social media write that the reason for why the Little Owl is protected is to prevent the risk of people who lack a permit transporting the owl to the North Island and potentially causing the species to establish there. If that is so, then that begs the question of why there aren't any non-native birds that are exclusive to the North Island that are protected for similar reasons.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”