dotterel and tern ID

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Aaron Harmer

dotterel and tern ID

Postby Aaron Harmer » Thu May 22, 2014 11:58 am

Hi, I'm reasonably new to birding and very new to NZ (just moved here 2 months ago), and was wondering if I can get some help with some IDs.

I'm pretty certain the first bird is a banded dotterel.

But, this second bird is confusing me a bit. I would say it's a NZ dotterel based on the dumpier body and greyer colouring but the darkish collar and hint of red on the upper breast are throwing me.

They were both also in close proximity to this NZ dotterel.

I would say the next bird is a white-fronted tern, but wasn't sure how to rule out a common tern in basic plumage.

Finally, out of interest, the crested tern was still at Waipu on 20th May, seen from the walkway opposite Estuary View Heights.

Thanks, in advance for any help.
Davidthomas

Re: dotterel and tern ID

Postby Davidthomas » Thu May 22, 2014 1:01 pm

1) is definitely a banded-dott. you can tell based on its size and browny colouration on the face as well as the strong band across the top of its breast. A juvenile i think?

2) Its definitely a NZ dott. for the reasons you lay out, they will have variable amounts of red colouration based on age/sex/time of year. If it was a sand dott it would be less plump and a more distinct head relative to the body.

4) Its a white-fronted tern, lacks the black band on the upper wing/shoulder area. Also lacks darker tail feathers that you'd expect from a common tern.

Hope this is useful!
Aaron Harmer

Postby Aaron Harmer » Thu May 22, 2014 4:42 pm

Thanks David, that helps a lot. I think I need to stop second guessing my original feeling so much.

Cheers.
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Thu May 22, 2014 7:40 pm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/0ystercatcher/7371383920/ Just as a reference for the banded dotterel.

Yeah i know what you mean, but always best to make sure you've got the right I.D.'s!

Return to “General Birding Discussion”