Albatross identification

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Wynston Cooper

Re: Albatross identification

Postby Wynston Cooper » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:56 pm

While I certainly go the young/immature Buller's way, can you be more specific as to the month Craig? In my 33+ years in Invercargill I have never seen a young/immature Buller's turn up on the mainland (South Island)before August.

Wynston Cooper
Craig McKenzie

Postby Craig McKenzie » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:07 pm

Hi Wynston

It was the 26th August.

Regards
Wynston Cooper

Postby Wynston Cooper » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:36 pm

Many thanks Craig. I'm even more convinced then that its an immature Buller's. If I could find my way around the system I could post a photo of one taken on Little Solander in July 1985 that I believe would pretty much confirm things.
Cheers
Wynston
Wynston Cooper

Postby Wynston Cooper » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:59 am

Have managed to find my way through the system and (hopefully) managed to post the photo I wanted. Its a csan from a slide taken on Little Solander Is in July 1985.
In Southland we regularly get young Buller's of the year turning up on the mainland during August, most notably after a good southwesterly blow.
Southern Buller's mollymawk chick.jpg
Southern Buller's mollymawk chick.jpg (47.5 KiB) Viewed 5720 times

Cheers
Wynston
AlexThompson

Postby AlexThompson » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:12 pm

Hi Wynston

If you look at the profile of the heads of the Bullers and shy albatross in Heather and Robertson (p.25 & 27) it looks like the profile of the bill is way too thick to be a Bullers? and the head is much lighter than you would expect in a Bullers.

Is there any possibility the chick photographed is a juv white capped?

Cheers

Gary & Alex
Get up close and personal with the worlds biggest wingspan
www.albatrossencounter.co.nz
Wynston Cooper

Postby Wynston Cooper » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:33 pm

Hi Gary and Alex
If it was a White-capped chick it would be the one and only ever found on the Solanders and the islands have been visited quite regularly over the last couple of decades. All the birds that Colin Miskelly and I recorded there in 1985 were definitely Buller's. As to the bill shape and colour, it compares well with that shown in plate 9 in Onley and Schofield. For shape also compare it with that of the adult shown below that I photographed on the main Solander Island.

Cheers
Wynston
Southern Buller's mollymawk #2.jpg
Southern Buller's mollymawk #2.jpg (38.5 KiB) Viewed 5719 times
Richard Schofield

Postby Richard Schofield » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:37 pm

I think part of the problem with this bird, with regard to the bill size, is that the yellow on the bill of adult Buller's makes the bill look slimmer. If we remove the colour, as in this superimposition of Brent's photos, the bills of the two species are fairly similar, even allowing for slightly different angles of viewing. When seen like this the bill on Craig's bird seems plenty slim enough for Buller's. Other factors in favour of Buller's are the relative size of the eye - obviously larger on Buller's - and what I consider to be a more obvious white crescent.
026861_070129 copy.jpg
026861_070129 copy.jpg (36.78 KiB) Viewed 5713 times

Richard
AlexThompson

Postby AlexThompson » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:06 am

I have put together an image of Buller's and Salvin's juvenilles along with Craig's bird and I will have to eat humble pie and agree with the overwhelming consensus that it does indeed appear to be a juvenile Buller's

I am not sure Gary agrees though?!

bullers comparisons.jpg
bullers comparisons.jpg (171.74 KiB) Viewed 5704 times
Get up close and personal with the worlds biggest wingspan
www.albatrossencounter.co.nz
Jan

Postby Jan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Hello All,

Yes, I think I'm giving in too, sorry Gary.
Never having seen that many juv Bullers, I admit it has too wide a black under-wing
leading edge and it IS on the mud at Awarua, near the breeding grounds.
Could people please locate their sites, like Lake Ellesmere, Canterbury for instance?
There are other Awaruas around the place.

This has been a really useful topic for the forum and I'm pleased I have persisted
with it, even though I only have dial-up.

Happy Birding,
Jan
Gazza

Postby Gazza » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:11 pm

Hello all,
Well done to Wynston and team for a well put together argument.

The good thing about the birding world is there is a bird metaphor for every occasion so I shall eat crow

and the good thing about a diet of crow is that it helps to keep ones feet firmly on the ground.

Well done and thanks to all. Gazza.............

Return to “General Birding Discussion”