Weka on Waiheke Island

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Re: Weka on Waiheke Island

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:30 am

Weka can do quite well around peopled places, so your big sections could surely be home to a few birds in time.
Weird question; any chance you had a close look at any of the hedgehogs? That's an interesting suggestion that weka could be bopping them off. I usually think of them taking rodents, but it would add to my fondness for weka if they were taking on hedge pigs too.
FionaPowell

Postby FionaPowell » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:43 pm

alastairmac wrote:Also interestingly there seem to be a lot of dead hedgehogs about, any correlation do you think? Wouldn't surprise me if the aggressive weka are taking a pop at them to protect nests and eggs. Weka beaks would sort hedgehogs out pretty quick.

At Man O War Tasting Room there are now about 5 Weka hanging about - and 2 chicks! (and a rescued hedgehog died, blinded, possibly due to the Weka - people did see the Weka attacking it)
If you want to see Weka - Man O war is a great place to visit!
"Island Keepers" of a small, privately owned - and proudly pest free - Island in the Hauraki Gulf
#Vote Weka for Bird of the Year
Visit: https://www.facebook.com/OnceOnAnIsland/
bdarlow

Postby bdarlow » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:41 pm

I wonder what effect they might have on nesting NZ Dotterels? The latter certainly nest round the eastern and southern end of the island.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:47 pm

Well, the hedgehogs would be bad for dotterels.
bennydog

Postby bennydog » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:26 am

Hello Alastairmac, Re Cats in and around wildlife. Please don't expect DOC to take charge, you must get rid of them yourself OR nothing will be done and your birds will be gone believe me.
I have been down that path.... Do it yourself or get competent people to....Neil Foster
Steps

Postby Steps » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:48 pm

Also interestingly there seem to be a lot of dead hedgehogs about, any correlation do you think?

Very much so. Weka have been recorded as being very effective in killing off rats, going back to early settler days.
I think something that maybe is rather overlooked in modern conservation methods.
http://www.kakariki.net
My Spelling is NOT incorrect, it's Creative
jdowding

Postby jdowding » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:07 pm

Visited Stony Batter on 06 April and there were weka everywhere, including several broods of chicks being fed. One family was in part of the Man O' War vineyard, with an adult picking grapes and feeding them to a chick…with the number of vineyards on the island, this could be something to watch as the birds spread further west…
We have a family bach at the eastern end of Onetangi, and where we are is surrounded by rough pasture and scrub/bush - definitely suitable habitat. We visit twice a year on average and I haven't yet seen or heard weka there.
Yes, weka could have an impact on NZ dotterels. However, there are relatively few pairs in the current core weka range around the eastern end of the island; however, when they get to high densities around Whakanewha (where dotterels are managed and there is a lot of predator control), things might get interesting.
John Dowding

Return to “General Birding Discussion”