Dabchick Tongariro River

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Iain _Thorpe

Dabchick Tongariro River

Postby Iain _Thorpe » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:25 am

I can't find any references in the usual texts about a dabchick on a river, so I thought someone might be interested that there is what I think is an immature or non-breeding dabchick I have seen on two different occasions in the past three weeks on the Major Jones pool in the Tongariro River at Turangi. It was solitary on both occasions, but looked to be the same bird. Overall dark, a bit of lighter grey on head, paler neck and rufous colour on breast. I haven't been close enough to confirm eye colour. It was on different sides of the river on each occasion, keeping close to the edge where the current is weaker and there is cover from overhanging vegetation. It was diving frequently while moving upstream on both occasions, but on different sides. The last flood was 5 March and I did not see it before that.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Re: Dabchick Tongariro River

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:40 pm

I've never seen our heard of them in that sort of environment. I wonder if it is the sort of thing that was formerly much more common.
Jake

Re: Dabchick Tongariro River

Postby Jake » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:33 pm

There's a couple of ebird pictures of Dabchicks in rivers from Manawatu Region: one on the Manawatu River, near Palmerston Nth, and another near Pahiatua. I've never been on the look out for them on flowing water. Probably something I'd dismiss as a duck, if I'm being honest: great spotting, Iain

Return to “General Birding Discussion”