Marahau- Rail, Bittern, Crake?

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
FlyingKiwiGirl

Marahau- Rail, Bittern, Crake?

Postby FlyingKiwiGirl » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:56 pm

I'm wondering has anyone seen any or all of these birds recently near Marahau? And can perhaps indicate the area I'm likely to find them. From research it seems that the rails may be near the boardwalk at the beginning of the Abel Tasman walk. Thanks for any tips.
NZ Forest Birds on Flickr
Look out for the Wetland & Waders, & Seabirds sets too.
Will Parsons

Re: Marahau- Rail, Bittern, Crake?

Postby Will Parsons » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:25 pm

There are a pair of banded rail in the estuary running into Kaiteriteri harbour. If you drive up to the trailer park they are are on the left handside in the rushes and mudflats. If you want good viewing stay in your car as they tend to take flight at the slightest movement. Just before Marahau there is a new sanctuary which could be good for bittern, crake and definetly fernbird. Happy birding.
FlyingKiwiGirl

Postby FlyingKiwiGirl » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:42 pm

Thanks Will! Perfect, I knew I saw you comment on here about them before but I couldn't locate the post. Actually that's more than perfect it's awesome, I didn't know they were that close! I'm in the Kaiteri camp for the next few weeks :)
NZ Forest Birds on Flickr
Look out for the Wetland & Waders, & Seabirds sets too.
Will Parsons

Postby Will Parsons » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:03 pm

Looking forward to your posts -good luck such a special area.
kengeorge

Postby kengeorge » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:31 pm

I've seen both banded rail and marsh crake in the vegetation on the mud flat viewed from the first or second bridge at the beginning of the Abel Tasman walk at Marahau, only a 100 meters or so from the beginning of the causeway. Look on the seaward side of the track, although I've seen banded rail on the land side of the track too. Grab a coffee and a snack from the great cafe right there at the beginning of the track, and sit and wait. Neither species seemed to be particularly bothered by people moving on the boardwalk, I last saw them in February when the Abel Tasman boardwalk was like Ponsonby Rd on a Friday night.
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:26 pm

Best time to watch is dusk.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”