Black Fronted Dotterel

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Bennyboy87654

Black Fronted Dotterel

Postby Bennyboy87654 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:51 pm

I would like to find some Black Fronted Dotterel in the south island, I've heard they are present on the Ashburton River and the Opihi River, both these rivers are a short drive for me, I was wondering if anyone has observed them in these areas, and if so which area, and also if they are present at this time of year?

Any info is helpful. Thanks
Paul Sagar

Re: Black Fronted Dotterel

Postby Paul Sagar » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:25 pm

I've recorded them at Washdyke Lagoon (north end of Timaru) usually from May to August, and at Spider Lagoon and the Opihi Rivermouth during the rest of the year. They prefer to feed on muddy rather than gravel areas. At Washdyke Lagoon they are usually on the inland side, north of the main drain that enters the lagoon about halfway along. I'm planning another count there next week, and so can report back whether they are still present or have returned to the nearby rivers.
Bennyboy87654

Postby Bennyboy87654 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:21 pm

Paul Sagar wrote:I've recorded them at Washdyke Lagoon (north end of Timaru) usually from May to August, and at Spider Lagoon and the Opihi Rivermouth during the rest of the year. They prefer to feed on muddy rather than gravel areas. At Washdyke Lagoon they are usually on the inland side, north of the main drain that enters the lagoon about halfway along. I'm planning another count there next week, and so can report back whether they are still present or have returned to the nearby rivers.

Thanks for the information, it is very helpful. I'd love to hear if you find any, cheers.
Bennyboy87654

Postby Bennyboy87654 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:35 pm

Paul Sagar wrote:I've recorded them at Washdyke Lagoon (north end of Timaru) usually from May to August, and at Spider Lagoon and the Opihi Rivermouth during the rest of the year. They prefer to feed on muddy rather than gravel areas. At Washdyke Lagoon they are usually on the inland side, north of the main drain that enters the lagoon about halfway along. I'm planning another count there next week, and so can report back whether they are still present or have returned to the nearby rivers.

Hey Paul.
I had a look for some today, found none at Spider Lagoon, but briefly saw one at the Opihi River mouth, it was feeding in a muddy spot as you mentioed they do.
Paul Sagar

Postby Paul Sagar » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:39 pm

Finally got to Washdyke Lagoon today after weather and flooding caused delays. No black-fronted dotterels seen and few birds overall as water level just starting to drop after a prolonged period of high water that covered all of the mudflats. 30 pied stilts, 3 wrybills, 9 banded dotts and 2 spur-wings were the only waders seen.
Paul Sagar

Postby Paul Sagar » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:41 pm

Oops. Forgot to mention the 2 SIPO and 26 VOCs also present
Hypno

Postby Hypno » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:45 pm

I once saw one at coopers lagoon in, was over ten years ago however

Return to “General Birding Discussion”