Bird Call ID

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
metallicite

Bird Call ID

Postby metallicite » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:01 pm

Hi, am new to this forum and not sure if there is a specific section for bird ID but I am trying to find out what the bird call is in my attached video clip. It is in Kawaha Point, Rotorua. I haven't heard it before until a couple of months ago and it's bugging me not knowing what it is. My first guess is a bell bird but they always seem to have different calls so I get confused. Also if there is a way to just share a sound clip instead of having to create a video? Cheers

[youtube]NDVLUWQzt-Y[/youtube]
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Re: Bird Call ID

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:34 am

Yes, there is a bellbird in there. The local dialects can be tricky, but that one has the often repeated classic three tones.

Stripping the audio out of a video file requires some software, but if you just record audio (your phone probably has a Voice Recorder or similar app) you can simply attach the audio (preferably mp3 type) file to your post.
Neil
metallicite

Postby metallicite » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:53 am

Thanks Neil! Sorry I only just found your reply. I thought it must have been a bellbird but they kept tricking me with their changing calls, interesting about your comment on the 3 tones. I have only started hearing them around my house in the last year or so so it is nice they have set up home in the area.

I did take the recording as an mp3 however I couldn't see how to attach it so that's when I created a video from the recording, then uploaded to youtube to use the youtube button :) how do you attached an mp3 file to a post?

Also there must be some option I can tick to get an email alert when I get a reply to my post so I can reply a lot quicker :)
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:09 pm

Attaching mp3 is the same as attaching photos; just click on the attachments tab under where you type your message (new posts and the full editor when replying to an earlier message).
You should also be able to see an option on the other (options) tab to "Notify me when a reply is posted". You can change in your User Control Panel (Board preferences > Edit notification options) whether you get an email, or a board notification, or both when that is triggered.

Cheers
Neil
metallicite

Postby metallicite » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:53 pm

Great! Thanks Neil. Have found everything and have set up notifications now so won't miss them again.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”