Morepork spotting locations in Auckland

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Josh J

Morepork spotting locations in Auckland

Postby Josh J » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:11 pm

Does anyone know of some good parks or reserves in the central Auckland area that are known to regularly have Morepork living in them. I am really keen to try out some evening owl spotting close to home! Anywhere within 30mins of the CBD would be ideal.

Any info would be most appreciated, thanks!
fras444

Re: Morepork spotting locations in Auckland

Postby fras444 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:21 pm

Mount Eden is a good place.!!! I've seen them there a couple of times
Josh J

Postby Josh J » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:06 am

Great thank you! I will go check out Mt Eden and have a good listen!
Steps

Postby Steps » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:48 am

You will be lucky.. see an actual morepork is rare at best of times. Chasing a morepork call.. around Auckland will end up finding a cape dove (think they are). Sound very close to a morepork
http://www.kakariki.net
My Spelling is NOT incorrect, it's Creative
Chris Bindon

Postby Chris Bindon » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:58 pm

Josh we're in rural Waitakere, the village, not the former city. It's further out than it sounds like you'd to go to though we have Moreporks calling most nights around the farm. You would be welcome to come out and try to spot some if you'd like. I have seen an occasional bird on those few nights when you have an exceptional full moon and things are so bright you can move about without a torch. Hope this helps, thanks Chris.
Jim_j

Postby Jim_j » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:56 am

I've heard them when staying in Hillsborough (The Avenue) - presume they are resident in that stretch of bush that extends along the coast from Green Bay to Manukau - and from there range into the bordering suburbs - although there are enough parks and gardens tin the area to support a few birds.
There is good street lighting so you might get lucky on a late night walk anywhere round that general area

cheers
jim
Josh J

Postby Josh J » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:30 am

Thank you so much for your suggestions. Chris that is a really nice offer, I will message you about teeing up a time that would be suitable for me to come and have a walk around your farm. Jim thank you for your suggestion I will go for a night time drive around Green Bay area listening for some calls. I heard a morepork the other night in Myers Park which is right in the centre of town near the Sky Tower which was exciting! I have had quite a bit of luck spotting Morepork in the Bay of Plenty region in the past but am really keen to get an insight into the Morepork that live in Auckland. I am a keen bird photographer so I will post up any birds I do manage to get a few good photos of!
TheBirderman

Postby TheBirderman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:11 pm

Hi Josh, I live in Kohimarama in Auckland and have heard a Morepork one evening. I would recommend Selwyn Bush to find these fellas, as it is good for trees and has lots of food and insects about. Also Madills Farm, but go after dark as it I see much better than in the day!

Return to “General Birding Discussion”