RFI Auckland - Waiheke ferry birds in late Nov

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Ian Southey

Re: RFI Auckland - Waiheke ferry birds in late Nov

Postby Ian Southey » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:34 pm

My 2 cents worth:

So it looks like you have a day and half which isn't much but there's not much time for mucking around given the necessary travel. If you arrive at dawn you should see if it is possible to make the boat to Tiri that day. I think you will although I don't go out from Auckland so am not sure. It is definitely worth the effort and head and shoulders above all your other options. You will get most of your wish list (not Kaka) and have a good day. Tawharanui is an acceptible back up but with fewer bird species with more walking to get them and a long drive. The other sites mentioned are not actually reasonable alternatives for the time mentioned, especially if you don't know where and how to look.

If your main interests are shorebirds unfortunately your timing is difficult because of the tides. I'm not sure when you get back from Tiri but the tide at Mangere is 3.30pm on the Saturday and you may be able to find a few birds lingering on roosts if you are quick crossing town when you return. There's about 2 hour window. This is one of your better Wrybill options but it is a small tide so wader numbers will not be high. The radiomast (southern most roost with a big netting fence may be your best option. You could travel to Miranda and stay at the shorebird centre that night if they have room. The high tide there is 12.36 on the Sunday and it will take you an hour to drive to the airport so it is a squeeze for time. The manager should be able to point you to a spot where you might find Wrybill before the tide and exactly how this will go depends on exactly when you need to leave. The other endemic wader you may have trouble with is Banded Dotterel at this time of year but the other species and gulls should fall into your lap as you go. Mangere is a more likely place for bandies than Miranda. If you have time in the morning have a quick look at the causeway out to Puketutu Island. If the waders are a big priority ditch the land birds and work the tides. If ambitious you could start at Miranda for the 11.42 tide (arrive there 2 hours or so prior if possible) and do Mangere in the afternoon.

If you have the stamina and the times fit you could try Mangere? - Tiri - Mangere - Miranda (to stay) then do Miranda through the morning and run for the plane. There will be lots of good endemic birds if you can manage that.

Ian
martintexas

Re: RFI Auckland - Waiheke ferry birds in late Nov

Postby martintexas » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:10 am

Great suggestions all - thanks. We will not be able to pick up or hire care at Auckland until c. 10ish Saturday, so Tiri is out. I think we might shoot over to Miranda and work the last bit of the high tide, then go back to Mangere and work it hard. Then on Sunday morning we can hit Miranda or take an early drive in the Hunuas, depending on how we did the day before.
We really appreciate all the suggestions - thanks!
Martin and Sheridan.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”