Southland Pacific Golden Plovers

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
kengeorge

Southland Pacific Golden Plovers

Postby kengeorge » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:33 am

Anybody know if the Pacific Golden Plovers are in the Invercargill/Awarua/area estuaries yet? I've checked out the localities on eBird, the timing seems to be beginning of November through to first quarter of the new year each year. I'm down in Dunedin at the moment and could easily do a run down to Awarua if anybody has seen the PGP's this season.
Ken
Bennyboy87654

Re: Southland Pacific Golden Plovers

Postby Bennyboy87654 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:39 am

kengeorge wrote:Anybody know if the Pacific Golden Plovers are in the Invercargill/Awarua/area estuaries yet? I've checked out the localities on eBird, the timing seems to be beginning of November through to first quarter of the new year each year. I'm down in Dunedin at the moment and could easily do a run down to Awarua if anybody has seen the PGP's this season.
Ken

I've spotted some at Lake Ellesmere recently, one even was still partially in Breeding Plumage, not sure if that means that they are down in Southland though
kengeorge

Re: Southland Pacific Golden Plovers

Postby kengeorge » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:19 am

Anybody seen the PGP's in Lake Ellesmere over the last couple of weeks? There weren't any that I could see around Awarua yet (though I did see the vagrant Northern Shoveler in the lagoon at Invercargill as a bonus); I'm travelling back up the island over the next few days so could have a look around Lake Ellesmere. Would appreciate any info. Thanks. Ken

Return to “General Birding Discussion”