NZ Big Day Birdathon 2017

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Jim_j

Re: NZ Big Day Birdathon 2017

Postby Jim_j » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:12 pm

While I notice the comment at the end re Birding ethics.... can I just make a plea on behalf of the group that haven't been consulted (i.e. the birds!!) that as this event is being held in the breeding season for many species that there is no disturbance to nesting birds - obviously this applies particularly to nesting river, shoreline & swamp birds that face enough challenges as it is.

cheers
jim
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:19 pm

Absolutely Jim. There are plenty of comprehensive 'birding ethics' write-ups out there (worth looking up if you're new to birding), but I would assume that regardless of the occasion, all contributors to this group would avoid disturbing nesting birds. That's part of the reason why I have pushed to allow 'heard only birds to count in his competition. This discourages unnecessary tape-playing or off-trail antics.

Russ
kimbirdley

Postby kimbirdley » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:01 pm

Absolutely agree. Could you share the best guide to birding ethics? I can include a link.
Kimberley Collins
Science and Conservation Communicator
http://www.kimberleycollins.com
mark ayre

Postby mark ayre » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:21 am

With the mention of prices, is there anybody out there who would like to donate a price ??

cheers Mark
Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:01 pm

RussCannings wrote:E. In order for all detected species to count, 95+% must be confidently heard or seen by ALL team members. Therefore if a team detects 100 species in 24 hours, a maximum of 5 species can be heard and/or seen by single observers only.

If those were the rules, then the youth record set last year is actually 86. We thought 50% of the team had to see a bird and so did not count a Brown Quail seen by only me in the car. The only other birds not seen by the entire team were Fluttering Shearwater and Black-Tailed Godwit.
Latest Lifer: Australian Gull-Billed Tern @ Manawatu Estuary
Amber Calman

Postby Amber Calman » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:55 am

My father and I got a total of 55 species for our Tasman big day yesterday! (Edit: realised I was missing two birds, Feral Pigeon and Pied Stilt! Added them in.) A few birds we missed such as Banded Rail and New Zealand Kaka, but we did see Australian Wood Duck and a Little Tern. I've attached photos of both, I was really pleased to get a shot of the tern, made it easier to check, but I'm no tern expert, so correction welcomed!
IMG_1856.JPG
IMG_1856.JPG (434.63 KiB) Viewed 2199 times
IMG_1802.JPG
IMG_1802.JPG (432.43 KiB) Viewed 2199 times

I'm sorting out our lists and the total but not sure, other than uploading our location counts, where to upload and submit our day's total tally? However I have made an Ebird list with all our birds for the Tasman region on it http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41133808 .
(*)> Amber Calman, Age 15
/ ) Blog https://youngbirderdom.wordpress.com/
/"
mark ayre

Postby mark ayre » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:23 pm

Hi guys,
Petrina and my self had another fun 24 hours ! in Otago ticking off the birds. Easily over hauled our last years total of 64 to reach the 72. Started traveling at dawn form the mountains of Aspiring National Park to watching the sun going down at Moeraki light house. Strategic planning was involved this year by camping at the start point [top secret] and at the end of the day. With 538 km and 960 minutes it was quite a day. The highlights being the early morning Blue Duck and then the late evening Yellow-eyed Penguins, throwing in the mixture of Albatrosses and up in the sea fog seeing all three Takahe feeding including the chick.

I agree with Russ it would be good to get more people involved especially families/ schools ect, timing is always a debate but prizes would be great. And getting both birds NZ [OSNZ] and F & B together supporting and actively encouraging the birdathon.

Happy birding
Merry Xmas

Cheers Mark
http://birdathon.co.nz/
Liam Ballard

Postby Liam Ballard » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:42 pm

So sorry that this is so late, but Michael Burton-Smith, Joe Dillon, Oscar Thomas and myself are proud to announce that we are the holders of the Waikato record! 75 species, but some unbelievable dips too. Read the full story here:

http://dippinginparadise.blogspot.co.nz/2017/12/2017-birdathon.html
Liam Ballard

Return to “General Birding Discussion”