NZ Big Day Birdathon 2017

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
mark ayre

NZ Big Day Birdathon 2017

Postby mark ayre » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:33 pm

Big day Logo.jpg
Big day Logo.jpg (135.27 KiB) Viewed 3459 times

Hi birders,

Big Day

We have organised a face book page for the first ever nationwide Big Day in New Zealand. It is called The Big Day Birdathon NZ 2017, please ‘like’ it to stay tuned for updates and information.

Get your binoculars and friends and join the fun day.

The rules for the Big Day are the same as those used by the American Birding Association for a big day count. See http://listing.aba.org/big-day-count-rules/. However flying in any type of aircraft is not allowed in the NZ Big Day.

The event runs from 12am on Saturday 16 December to 11:59 pm on Sunday 17 Dec 2017. Your team of at least two people chooses a consecutive 24 hour period to complete your Count but this must occur during ONE calendar day only, eg. either Saturday or Sunday.

We are wanting to use E-bird to collect results, our thinking was people enter a traveling checklist and then share that with us all.

We are wanting to print some T-shirts for the Dig Bay but need some help with this ! Any Help out there Please. Thinking the cost of a T-shirt may be like a registration fee perhaps !

We are trying to get Forest and Bird interested, and using your personal sponsorship, you personally donated to the Forest And Bird cause which you support. Example you get people pledge to give you $0.50 cents per bird you spot and record on the Big day.

Any feedback and help much appreciated.

Thanks Mark and Petrina
mark ayre

Re: NZ Big Day Birdathon 2017

Postby mark ayre » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:46 pm

Looks like we getting a web site together www.birdathon.co.nz
So any help or suggestion would be good.
There has been some discussion on what bird list is used which is fair comment ie ebird or clements but till we get some body to sponsor the event, the fun aspect is more important , encouraging participation.

so we welcome any feed back and help to make this an annual fun event perhaps with different categories, such as regions ect and youth or young birders ect. and of course prises !!
Liam Ballard

Postby Liam Ballard » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:41 pm

Instead of using an international checklist like eBird, Clements or (heaven forbid ) IOC, why don't we use the most recent OSNZ checklist? Wouldn't that make more sense?
Liam Ballard
George Hobson

Postby George Hobson » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:06 pm

Liam Ballard wrote:Instead of using an international checklist like eBird, Clements or (heaven forbid ) IOC, why don't we use the most recent OSNZ checklist? Wouldn't that make more sense?

Agree with you there Liam.
And it's been mentioned before, but it'd be good if we got the regional records on the website somewhere as those are great records too.

If you'd like, Mark, I'd be happy to create an interactive map where you can click on your region and see the record (if there is one).....? :)
I could make a post here and see where we're at with how many records there are.

Also I like the idea of a young birders record (currently 84 i think).
Latest lifer: Little Shearwater in the Wellington Harbor (168)!
mark ayre

Postby mark ayre » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:00 pm

george thats sound great, interactive map wow i was trying to figure a way for real time data. kimberley collins who ran the f and b bird of the year has said she can build the web site. would that be the best place to have the interactive map ?? if so then i can give you her contact details
so much appreciate any help

if some one can add the OSNZ list sound al right to me

cheers
George Hobson

Postby George Hobson » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:46 pm

So I've quickly chucked together an option, basically you just click the little bird in any region and it'll show you the record for that area.
What do you think? There's room for improvement and will of course add in all the other records I can find online....
I know Kimberley, so that's great she's going to do the website. This map can be "embedded" onto the website so you don't have to visit another link.

[EDIT: link removed until the map is finalized]
Last edited by George Hobson on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Latest lifer: Little Shearwater in the Wellington Harbor (168)!
Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:07 pm

Looks great George! You can add West Coast (56 - George, Michael, Eleanor and Sandra) and Manawatu (62 - George and Michael).

There are also these ones from the twitchathon post last year.
Auckland--70
Waikato--73
Bay of Plenty--70
Canterbury--98
Otago—58
Southland—70
Latest Lifer: Australian Gull-Billed Tern @ Manawatu Estuary
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:53 am

Hawkes bay of 90 set this weekend just been...
mark ayre

Postby mark ayre » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:35 am

wow gorege ,
thats great most impressed, we will get that link up

thanks
Liam Ballard

Postby Liam Ballard » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:33 am

I will claim the Taranaki record of 48 if no-one else does...
Liam Ballard

Return to “General Birding Discussion”