Help with NZ Storm Petrel

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
calidrisforever

Help with NZ Storm Petrel

Postby calidrisforever » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:51 pm

Hi all,

Just arrived in Auckland and keen to see NZ Storm Petrel, but in period we can there are no peleagics .

Would the Great Barrier island ferry be an alternative? Our idea would be going up and down with the ferry?

Any other alternatives? E.g. Chartering a boat with experienced crew?
Thanks in advance.
Rafael Armada and Marc Guyt

Ps: tips for website for latest rare bird / vagrant sightings in N Z also welcome
Mig

Re: Help with NZ Storm Petrel

Postby Mig » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:32 pm

Hi there,
You might like to try these guys who go out most days on research trips but do take passengers on some of the days
I went out last year with them..it was great!

https://www.nzseabirdtrust.com/pelagic-trips
Cheers
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:53 am

You really need to go on a charter with people who know what they are doing. Your chances from a moving ferry to GBI would be virtually zilch.
Try the link Mig gave. If you wanted to resort to a chartering a boat yourself it'll be expensive but I can give you a couple of names.
calidrisforever

Postby calidrisforever » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:08 pm

Thanks both for the answers.
We did try with the link you mentioned but didn't match with our available days.
Neil, do you mind to give us those names?
Thanks in advance
rafaelarmada@gmail.com
Tim Barnard

Postby Tim Barnard » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:16 am

When I first moved to NZ in 2001, no one was running pelagics, so I did hop on the slowest ferry I could find to GBI. It was January. The outward journey was excellent with great views of Cooks and Black Pets ... I remember it very well. In my notebook there's a sketch of a small black and white storm petrel as we headed out to the Barrier Isalnds. Put it down as prob Wilsons, but it probably wasn't with hindsight.

Not sure what the Ferry's are like now ... but it may be OK. Wouldn't write it off completely.

Cheers

Tim

Return to “General Birding Discussion”