Big Birding Weekend Coming up!!!

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
RussCannings

Big Birding Weekend Coming up!!!

Postby RussCannings » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:01 am

Hi all,

I know it's a busy time with family, friends, Xmas parties, and all that jazz--but let's all try and get out this weekend! Even if it's just for a few hours, challenge yourself to try and see/hear as many bird species as possible in a given area, be it your backyard, your council district, or the whole country!

Sadly, I have a family do on Saturday evening and an 'important' first-birthday party to attend on Sunday meaning I only have the first part of Saturday to 'officially' partake. To compensate a little, Lisa and I will start our 24 hours on Friday avo then run into Saturday. This will, I suppose, disqualify us from any sort of award, but we'll still go for a solid total and a lot of fun. We'll be staying in the Eastern Bay of Plenty region and hoping for 70+ species. While we won't always be in mobile range, I plan on sharing our progress on Twitter and maybe Instagram. I encourage all others to try this out to so I suggest using/following the hashtag #bigdaynz

So call up some mates, get out there, look at some birds, pop the data on eBird, and share your stories to the group!

More info: http://birdathon.co.nz/

Russ C
Cambridge, NZ
Davidthomas

Re: Big Birding Weekend Coming up!!!

Postby Davidthomas » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:11 pm

I’m unfortunately working but will do my best to crack 50 species for the Turangi/Kaimanawas area.
Michael

Re: Big Birding Weekend Coming up!!!

Postby Michael » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:35 am

We've set up a Facebook and Twitter account for our team - the Crakeless Spotters. This consists of Joe Dillon, Oscar Thomas, Liam Ballard, Donald Snook and myself. Follow us to get sneaky hints for our route, and also live updates on Sunday when we do our big day.

Facebook page - www.facebook.com/CrakelessSpotters/
Twitter - @CrakelessSpotrs

Wishing everyone the best of luck!!
Latest Lifer: Australian Gull-Billed Tern @ Manawatu Estuary

Return to “General Birding Discussion”