Sheila Petch has died

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Jan

Sheila Petch has died

Postby Jan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:09 am

Sadly, Sheila died in Christchurch hospital on Sunday night after a short illness with breathlessness and a cough. She and Tom were about to move into a unit at a Retirement Village and were really looking forward to it. The funeral is at Harewood Crematorium on John's Rd tomorrow at 1.30pm. No flowers but donations to Hinewai Reserve on Banks Peninsula.

In mid Nov. we had a ramble to Ashley Estuary which Sheila thoroughly enjoyed, seeing a pair of Crested Grebe with chicks, a Banded Dotterel on a nest and numerous waders, terns and gulls. One of her favourite places, it was where she gained proof that SIPO and Variable Oystercatchers were hybridising and the offspring were fertile. Sheila was 90.
Hypno

Re: Sheila Petch has died

Postby Hypno » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:20 pm

Very sad to hear and condolences to her family.

Sheila had a big influence on me as young birdwatcher and volunteered many days taking me on day trips bird watching when i was in my early teens in the lat 90s. I gained many fond memories and a wealth of knowledge from Sheila i will not forget.

Some memory's include banding gulls at Isaacs and pulling weeds in the gravel pits , roaming about green park sands looking for waders.
Jan

Re: Sheila Petch has died

Postby Jan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:56 pm

Hi Hypno,

Thanks very much for your message. I will pass it on to Sheila's family. Nice to know you are still around and still interested in birds. I have worked out who you are and remember doing wader counts with you nearly 20 yrs ago! It will take ages to stop wanting to tell Sheila about some bird we've seen or ask her about her knowledge of something or other. Thanks.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”