Storm Chasers?

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
RussCannings

Storm Chasers?

Postby RussCannings » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:49 am

While not a big boy, there's a pretty decent-sized tropical storm hitting Northland at the moment and will be passing through much of the country in one way or another. This will be bringing strong winds from the north and west, and therefore a potential for seabirds or even tropical seabirds coming closer to our shores than usual. It could also mean some beachwreck events.

Anyone planning on checking things our either today or tomorrow? Anywhere on the east coast of Northland or the Rodney District, and Coromandel could be an interesting place to be (albeit with your safety and well-being thoroughly considered). The Bay of Plenty, East Cape, and North Island East coast could also see some high winds.

I plan on patrolling the Bay of Plenty from AM to PM on Friday and will report back. With the King Tide coinciding, there will be some major concerns for shellbank/beach nesters as well, so I'm sure many will be interested to survey their local patches in the wake of this thing.

Russ C
Cambridge, NZ
Mig

Re: Storm Chasers?

Postby Mig » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:12 am

Waiting for midday (king time is at 11am) and then will walk to the north tip at Waipu ;)
JFDillon

Postby JFDillon » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:19 am

I'll be in Ohiwa for the next two weeks. Arriving later today... wish me luck.
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:59 am

Two sides to every storm - the good news being somebody reported pycrofts and black-winged petrels not 5 minutes from where I live: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41607694

The bad news is every potential Shore plover nest and chick on Motutapu is now gone. A nest I saw there with 3 eggs last week was known to be underwater yesterday. Who’s responsibilty are these birds? They translocated a species that nests under cover to an island where this cover stops past the king tide marks. I can’t imahint how the fairy terns are handling this storm.
sav

Postby sav » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:17 am

I'm afraid the "good news" looks like "fake news" to me.

I can't see that long-winged bird being a Pycroft's (which btw are smaller than Cook's, not bigger). And since when did Black-winged Petrels have a "strong contrasting M on the uperwing" (Cook's Pets do though....).

That is indeed a real shame about the Shore Plovers.

cheers
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders
Tim Barnard

Postby Tim Barnard » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:37 am

On a lighter note. I'm just contemplating a trip to the coast. Whilst waiting for a break in the weather, our 'pet' Chaffinch turned up and appears none too impressed with weather today.
IMG_2904.jpg
IMG_2904.jpg (125.71 KiB) Viewed 2915 times
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:09 pm

We’re crossing the ferry tomorrow at 8:30, so assuming it goes ahead should produce some good birding. Might even be worth a seawatch from island bay or Cape Palliser tomorrow or the day after as they’re predicting 30-40knot south easterly winds sustained for a decent period.
Jim_j

Postby Jim_j » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:50 pm

Re the comment on the Shore Plover - I think the reality is that there are so few suitable islands for these birds that it is worth the risk.
Loss of eggs & chicks for river & shore birds due to weather events is common - it is the loss of adult birds to predation in particular that is the issue.

cheers
jim
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:11 am

Re: Seabird ID: Sav is right that Pyroft's are technically (on average) smaller than Cook's however this is a somewhat negligible thing in the field. Perhaps the longer-tailed proportion gave it that appearance? I agree it looks somewhat long-winged for Cook's/Pycroft's however I can't turn it into a larger pterodroma either (e.g. White-naped/Juan Fernandez). IDing Pycroft's from a distance based on plumage alone is folly however this observor seems relatively experienced and was picking out these birds on structure and plumage after studying hundreds of Cook's. Therefore I'm not entirely offboard the Pycroft's idea.

As for Black-winged I'd have to respectfully disagree with Sav. While I have only ever seen one in the field, most of the photos I've seen of Black-winged show much paler inner secondaries than Cook's which gives BWs a more distinct/contrasting dark M in most plumages---so added to the observer's mention of the dark carpal bar and claim of experience with the species, and I'm also okay with that possibility. Happy to hear more feedback on this as always :)

Says me, who couldn't find a single pterodroma on Friday despite gale northerlies!

Russ C
Cambridge, NZ
sav

Postby sav » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:43 pm

Hey Russ,

I feel that a couple of things need to be pointed out before people take the message above as gospel.

Pycroft's are not just "technically" smaller, they have a c20% shorter wing than Cook's. And (I think more usefully) have a broader "hand" - so the photographed bird just doesnt have the correct proportions for a Pycroft's. To my eye it looks like a Cook's.

Re Black-winged. To quote Paul Scofield "Typically....wings mainly dark with no prominent M". Young, fresh, birds show the pale secondaries as you have said - but presumably not at this time of year. Whatever the case, a strong contrasting M cant be a discriminating field mark - not the first thing one would notice. Nor, as it happens, is the dark underwing marking. They have a totally different jizz.

BUT - I wasn't there and didn't see the birds, so all this is guess work to a certain extent.

Take it easy, cheers
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders

Return to “General Birding Discussion”