Freedom to Roam (and bird) history in Scotland

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Nick Allen

Freedom to Roam (and bird) history in Scotland

Postby Nick Allen » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:56 pm

Interesting to note that you are free to go wherever in the wilderness in Scotland (though they went through a close shave with vested interests), whereas here in NZ, even on land that the Government owns and leases for farming, there are large tracts with no habitation for many kms it's no go. The sky hasn't fallen in on Scotland, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Austria, Belarus, the Czech Republic or Switzerland (and formerly NZ): would it here, now?

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/our-wonderful-access-legislation-that-almost-wasnt/0017519/
Paul Sagar

Re: Freedom to Roam (and bird) history in Scotland

Postby Paul Sagar » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:45 pm

Consequently, Joy & I were taken onto Balmoral Estate and the nearby Queen's Mum's estate whilst searching for golden eagle, capercaile, black grouse, and greenshank during our 1st OE, in 1982. Happy days!
andrewcrossland

Re: Freedom to Roam (and bird) history in Scotland

Postby andrewcrossland » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:25 pm

I went for a wander around the saltmarshes in the Wash just south of Snettisham many years ago and some nice men in a green landrover came along and promptly turned me around - no birding allowed in the Queen's Sandringham Estate!

Return to “General Birding Discussion”