Best book for Birds of the World

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
ledzep

Best book for Birds of the World

Postby ledzep » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:56 pm

I was looking to get a good reference guide to Birds of the World. Checked out Whitcoulls and Borders bookshops and there are a number of titles - there is a Collins edition, Philips, and some others. Does anyone have a recommendation as to which one is the best or most complete? I like ones with lots of pictures!
SzimiStyle

Re: Best book for Birds of the World

Postby SzimiStyle » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:00 am

I guess you need this awesome series. HBW is costy but far an ultimate collection of the birds of the world. A must have for every serious birder, nature lover.

Szimi
ledzep

Postby ledzep » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:32 pm

Thanks, I'd love it. I think you have correctly found the "best" book, or rather books. I was thinking in terms of a single volume (typically 1000 species listed) rather than the complete set! Looks like a wonderful set.
SzimiStyle

Postby SzimiStyle » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:57 pm

Yes, that would be awesome. I have a book in my mind but will not be published in the next 10 years :(
At the moment there no other comprehensive source. The Birdlife International's Threatened Birds Of the World is a wonderful book but doesn't contain all the birds but the most "importants". I have it and love to browse and nice to use for my work.

Szimi

Return to “General Birding Discussion”