Blackbirds singing

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
philbattley

Blackbirds singing

Postby philbattley » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:23 pm

In Palmerston North I heard the first Blackbirds at home singing yesterday morning. What's the situation elsewhere in the country? Is there any pattern to when they start?

Cheers, Phil
Ian Southey

Re: Blackbirds singing

Postby Ian Southey » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:50 pm

Phil

There have been bits and pieces of song from a Blackbird based about three sections away here in Papakura over the last ten days, mostly it is drowned out by the thrushes that are closer and much louder so I'm not sure how well its been singing. This weekend I have been staying at Kaiaua and there is at least one there in full voice.

Ian
Steps

Postby Steps » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:19 am

My 'pet' blackbirds and thrushes started singing and 'tusling ' around in the gardens for nearly 3 weeks now....just nth of Papakura.
button quail are sitting on nests, californian quail preping nests, fantails have been darting together thru the scrubs, and the tui, well gets a bit hazzrdus in the backyard when their aerbatic antics at very low atiltudes.
Cherry trees out in full bloom for a while now.
Even thinging about planting 1st row of dawf beens early, early...
Where the hang is the winter?
And seems everything is a good 4 weeks earlier than normal now.
http://www.kakariki.net
My Spelling is NOT incorrect, it's Creative
Kingfisher

Postby Kingfisher » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:16 pm

Hi, We've noticed blackbirds singing full swing about 8 days ago at least (Manawatu) . For the last few years we've noted that thrush start around mid May.... they've since gone a bit quiet but they'll be on their second innings any day now. Im rural and there are many male blackbirds singing up a storm. I can't wait to hear their beautiful song start up each year. Ususally we "have them on" and whistle to them and have done for years. It definitely gets them going. LOL.

Kingfisher
Nick Allen

Postby Nick Allen » Fri May 16, 2014 10:03 pm

Blackbirds singing in Ilam (Christchurch) on Wednesday and yesterday, just before it started to get light. Got up too late this morning. Lots of Song Thrushes singing this morning, despite the frost.
Steps

Postby Steps » Sun May 18, 2014 9:58 am

We have blackbirds and thrush rather active again and latter this year... neighbour has a bit of nest making going on in the rafters on the deck of their old house.....and the king parrots in the aviaries going back checking out nest boxes.

Edit: just noticed your avatar Nick
Clinton9

Postby Clinton9 » Sun May 18, 2014 3:10 pm

Very very strange since decreasing daylength and low temperature stops blackbirds & Song thrushes from singing & breeding.
Both blackbirds & Song thrush were from Great Britian, brought to NZ in late 1880s.

Maybe their bodies/brains were confused by our NZ climates and seasons.
Clinton9

Postby Clinton9 » Sun May 18, 2014 4:48 pm

147 years since blackbirds were released in NZ on 1867.
Jilly

Postby Jilly » Sun May 18, 2014 5:37 pm

Blackbirds drowned out by song thrushes in my garden in Gisborne, especially before daybreak. Starlings are checking out possible real estate in the willow too - they think it's Spring!
Steps

Postby Steps » Mon May 19, 2014 9:49 am

since decreasing daylength and low temperature

I totally disagree.. thu not blackbirds...kakariki, turqs and a few other species we have experimented with in this respect..
daylight has no effect....they will breed indoors, that has no consistency other than 'short days'
temps have no effect.
Diet does... what grubs are in the gardens , if fruit is late on trees etc.

Hammered a few other myths over the years to.. including chocolate and avocados, pear and apples seeds
Old wives tails that dont go way...

Return to “General Birding Discussion”