Tui+Fantail Nesting Study, Wellington 2015-2017

Upcoming bird-watching trips and other birding events. Announce your counts, field trips, working bees, cost-share birding trips etc.
NyreeFea

Tui+Fantail Nesting Study, Wellington 2015-2017

Postby NyreeFea » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:46 pm

I am at Victoria University of Wellington studying towards a PhD. Part of my research involves monitoring the nests of tui and fantails for predation by introduced mammals. I have attached a poster that I am circulating to many Wellington conservation groups in an effort to encourage keen, bird-watching members of the public to contact me if they find an active tui or fantail nest in Wellington reserves from now until March 2017. I will be studying the responses of these two bird species in urban reserves to different levels of pest-mammals and, in particular, ship rats. Once active nests are located I will monitor that nest every few days to ascertain its final outcome. I will also place multiple pest-species detection devices (Chewcards) in the area surrounding the nest.
If you find an active tui or fantail nest in Wellington City please contact me on my university mobile number:
022-120-7237 or:
Email: Nyree.Fea@vuw.ac.nz

My study area is bordered by (and includes) areas such as Tawa / Takapu Valley to the North, Karori / Owhiro Bay / Wilton to the West and Howokiwi / Takapu Valley (i.e.West of Highway 1) to the East. Please follow this link: http://wellington.govt.nz/webmap/wccmap.html
for a map of this area and the WCC 'Ward' Borders that act as limits for my study.
Another part of my project will involve leg-banding juvenile tui and fantails and using re-sightings of these individuals to learn about natal dispersal (i.e. the distances dispersed and habitat choice of juveniles and where they settle to breed). If keen bird-watchers also noticed a leg-band on a tui or fantail I would be keen to learn about the location of that bird and the colours of the leg-bands.
Thank-you for your help and good luck nest hunting!
Wellington Nesting Study.pdf
Poster detailing Wellington Nesting Study
(783.32 KiB) Downloaded 530 times

Return to “Birding Trips and Events”