Napier AGM pelagic anyone?

Upcoming bird-watching trips and other birding events. Announce your counts, field trips, working bees, cost-share birding trips etc.
RussCannings

Napier AGM pelagic anyone?

Postby RussCannings » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:29 pm

Hi all,

I'm very much looking forward to attending the OSNZ AGM this June in Napier. I notice that a pelagic is not one of the scheduled Monday fieldtrips and was wondering if anyone else would be interested in joining one if an appropriate boat, skipper, and weather window can be organised. I would be happy to help organize this through official AGM channels or 'on the side' if that works better. Presumably, numbers would be limited if it goes ahead so I'll keep a list of those who respond positively (You can PM/email me as well if you prefer) and the first-come will be first-served so to speak.

Regards,

Russ Cannings
Cambridge, NZ
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Re: Napier AGM pelagic anyone?

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:04 pm

I could be persuaded.
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:10 pm

I also could be talked into it.

Have put myself down for the boundary stream trip incase this doesnt go ahead but will be in touch.
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:45 pm

If this were to happen, what sort of species could we hope for?
tim

Postby tim » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:17 pm

Hi Russ, do you know how far you are likely to be going out and if you would be chumming?
Tim Rumble
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:52 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone, if Neil and David are keen, then I have 7 names including myself.

As for your questions Oscar and Tim, we will definitely have chum along; how far we get out will depend on our boat, swell conditions, time available, and cost. Some of that will be determined by those who sign up, but the major factor is the boat which I have not confirmed yet. If I don't get a boat confirmed this week then I'll probably just cancel the venture. Will post the result here.

Regarding what we might expect to find, you can find several east coast winter pelagic reports on Wrybill's website here (Scroll down to 2006 and earlier): http://www.wrybill-tours.com/tripreport ... eports.htm

As you will see, trips out of Tolega Bay, Gizzy, and Napier have turned up a good variety of species including Chatham Albatross, Grey Petrel, and Salvin's/Antarctic Prion.

Russ Cannings
Cambridge, NZ
tim

Postby tim » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:40 pm

Hi Russ,
I would be keen but wanted to know the cost so if you could confirm that.
Cheers
Tim
Tim Rumble
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:57 pm

Hi all,

If you read my last post (Which I just deleted), forget about it.

Basically at the moment I have someone who can take 7 out deep (We have 9 interested :? ), but thanks to Brent Stephenson I may be able to get a larger boat sorted. Will be a few days before I can confirm this.

So hang tight, we'll find a way!

Russ
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:42 pm

Hey folks,

Of those that have responded on this forum (Will be contacting the folks who have emailed me separately)--who is still keen to try for a pelagic? To help your decision, here is the current situation. It appears there are no suitable larger vessels available in HB this winter (ie that can take 10+ people out at a time), but I do have two keen skippers that can take 7 and 8 respectively on 6 and 10m charter boats. 7 in the first vessel might be pushing it by my estimation so we would probably go for 4 and 6-7 so there's a bit of comfort, and then try and have two boats out together. This is not ideal but if all 10-11 of you are still keen, that's the best option at the moment. Cost has yet to be confirmed (depends on how many in each vessel, our time and distance out, etc, but I think $200ish for a full day is fairly realistic. We will aim to get out to Lachlan Banks or beyond if possible (35+ miles), and be out from ~7am to 4pm.

So to re-cap, let me know if you want pay $200 to be on a 6-10m boat for 9 hours looking at seabirds. Both boats have toilets (I will confirm this) and we will certainly have chum along.

***Another option, is having one boat for those wishing to only be out for 3-5 hours, and have the larger vessel for the 'hardcore' (crazy) people wanting to head out to the shelf. I'm sure if you just poked out beyond Cape Kidnappers you would be in to a good mix of mollymawks, giant petrels, cape pigeons etc., so that could be a fun/easy option for newbies to pelagic birding.

You can reply here, PM or email (russellcannings@shaw.ca). If I don't hear back from someone in 2 weeks, I will consider them not-interested. If we end up with 6-8 keeners well then we'll just go with the one boat of course.

Russ
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:53 pm

p.s. Keep in mind that there is always a good chance that no boats will get out on the Monday as June is not a friendly month for boat rides on the south Pacific :) If the trip is cancelled, I would be happy to join you all at Ocean Beach for a sea-watching scope session.

Return to “Birding Trips and Events”