Blumine Island

Upcoming bird-watching trips and other birding events. Announce your counts, field trips, working bees, cost-share birding trips etc.
kengeorge

Re: Blumine Island

Postby kengeorge » Mon May 01, 2017 2:18 pm

I'm still keen, the price isn't an issue......

Ken George
CMKMStephens

Postby CMKMStephens » Thu May 04, 2017 11:44 am

I would be keen to have another try on Blumine Island. In January I managed to find the Mohua but not the Orange-fronted kākāriki. I wasted too much time at the start going down to the bunkers and taking lots of Bellbird and Tomtit photos
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Mon May 08, 2017 1:58 pm

This is part of an email I have just received from Paul G who thought it may be of interest.

COUGARLINE of PICTON, sail there twice daily at 0800 and 1000hrs, and it only costs $75. They sail directly from Picton Waterfront, right next to the shops and the main car park. Here’s the link to their website:

http://www.cougarline.co.nz/contact/

I’ve just come back from one of these trips, and it was as easy as catching a bus, and very pleasant.
kengeorge

Postby kengeorge » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:03 am

Any updates on this trip? I'm planning a road trip later in the year and would love to incorporate this Blumine trip in to it?

Ken
Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:10 pm

What birds are on Blumine? Rifleman? South Island Robin? Brown Creeper?
Latest Lifer: Australian Gull-Billed Tern @ Manawatu Estuary
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:29 pm

yes, as well as Mohua, Orange-fronted kakariki, South Island tieke and King shag.
kengeorge

Postby kengeorge » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:24 am

I did the Dolphin Watch Ecotour to Motuara Island (further up the same sound as Blumine) a few years ago and that was worth doing. Yellow crowned kakariki and South Island saddleback plus the usuals. On the way back passed Blumine the boat came in close for some good views of the King Shag roost on the south end of Blumine. The walk up to the observation platform on the top of Motuara is excellent. Here's a link http://www.e-ko.nz/product/Bird-Watchers-Experiences
cclar112

Postby cclar112 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:10 pm

Hi Folks - Looks like I've got enough acceptances on this thread to make the trip a reality. I will send an e-mail to those of you who have expressed a strong interest (Olwen, kengeorge, CMKMStephens and Tekillanz) so we can get consensus on time, length of trip etc. We will need to be back in Picton by early-mid afternoon but happy to set out as early as folks want. Anybody else wanting to join later can do so up to the point when the boat is full....
cclar112

Postby cclar112 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:45 pm

Also if anyone is interested we have been lucky enough to find enough people to get a 4hr pelagic out of Kaikoura on the following day at 1pm. As the coast road is still closed and quite likely still will be in November we will have to travel to long way round and will stay overnight in Maruia before heading to Kaikoura in the morning. You can contact Albatross Encounters directly www.albatrossencounter.co.nz if you want to get a spot on the boat which will go much further off-shore than their regular 2hr trips.
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:46 am

Look forward to hearing how you all get on. I'd have been interested as I really want to see Orange Fronts but I just can't make that date. Will get down at another point in time I'm sure.

Return to “Birding Trips and Events”