Arctic Tern, Ashley Rakahuri Estuary

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Ian Southey

Re: Arctic Tern, Ashley Rakahuri Estuary

Postby Ian Southey » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:41 pm

So, gone then? I presume someone would have posted if the breeding plumage was becoming more intense and clearer.

Ian
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:03 pm

Hi Ian.
Think the Arctic was a one day drop in and yes seems as though the Common has moved on. No reports since the last one I posted.
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
Michael Szabo

Postby Michael Szabo » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:32 pm

The one I found at Waikanae Sandspit on this day in 2022 was seen again the next day so if anyone is there over the next few days, it might be worth checking for an Arctic Tern among any WFTs there.
'New Zealand Birders' Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/857726274293085
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:34 pm

Hi Michael.

Arctic Tern was observed as a one off, over 2 and a half weeks ago so pretty sure thats moved on :) But you Never know.

Both Common Terns observed steadily through late summer with the Red billed version last seen 9 days ago so looking like this bird has also moved on but still a small chance it may still be around given its long stay.

Standard Black-Billed Common was last observed on the 22 March I believe.
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
Michael Szabo

Postby Michael Szabo » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:35 am

Yes, I agree, they're always on the move. The two most recent records from the Kapiti Coast were both briefly seen among a local WFT flock. The one I found at Waikanae Sandspit in April 2022 was only ashore for about ten minutes and the one that Imogen Warren found at the Plimmerton marina wharf in May 2016 was also quite a brief sighting, so my sense is that they are mostly moving around at sea but come ashore for brief periods when they find a WFT or BFT flock on the coast so you just have to keep checking tern flocks for them. This is certainly the time of year for them here on the Wellington/Kapiti Coast...
'New Zealand Birders' Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/857726274293085

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”