Emperor Penguin at Peka Peka, Kapiti Coast

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Re: Emperor Penguin at Pekapeka, Kapiti Coast

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:07 am

A vet will be arriving soon and people will be kept back...
Byrd

Postby Byrd » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:50 am

the news is not good for the penguin: http://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/5185 ... -the-worse
Clinton9

Postby Clinton9 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:58 am

Hi Colin,
There are no datas about colours and pattens of immature plumages of 18-month-old & 2 2/2-year-old & 3 2/2-year-old Emperor penguins, between juvenile plumages and adult plumages.

I do not know how many immature plumages and about colours & pattens of immature plumages between juvenile plumage and adult plumage.

If this penguin were to be 3:5 year old, it could look like adult penguin, expert for creamy-yellow colour on ear patches (paler than adult) and black chin, but I looked at photoes of this penguin, this bird do not have creamy colour on ear patches, the ear patches are white and the chin is dark grey, the black beak had pink base.

This penguin don't have band and is safely aged as a juvenile.

White tips of chin feathers, wears down to show grey bases, creating the grey chin. See the starlings ???

Clinton.

Colin Miskelly wrote:Hi Sav

You are, of course, right (at least on the age count). I have recieved information and photographs from Barbara Wienecke (ANARE, Hobart), and Gerald Kooyman (Scripps Institution of Oceanography, California) suggesting that this bird is most likely 3.5 years old. Barbara's photograph of a bird 2.5 years old had a much paler chin. I would be very surprised if it started moulting in June c.f. late (austral) summer, but this is bird has broken enough other dogma that I wouldn't rule it out.

This updated age is on Te Papa blog:

http://blog.tepapa.govt.nz/2011/06/23/t ... erstardom/

Cheers
Colin
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:22 am

There were gasps as it swallowed some large bits of driftwood this morning. The few times it stood up appeared to be attempts to regurgitate some of the sand it was shoveling down the rest of the time, when it wasn't motionless on stomach. A sad circus this morning I'm afraid.
Byrd

Postby Byrd » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:42 am

I think this was the only way the penguin's visit was going to end really. Emperor penguins are notorious for (in particular) aspergillosis when kept in captivity, because they can't combat the infections of warm climates, and a bird turning up so far outside its natural range was never going to last long. And because its swallowing sand which it won't be able to pass, this will compact in its gut unless it can vomit it up. And of course people (as in the article linked in my earlier post) are going to be blaming DoC for whatever happens.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:53 pm

Just had a call from news photog I met this morning to say the Emperor penguin will soon be taken to Wellington Zoo. (thanks Jack). If you haven't already, I'm afraid it is too late to see it on the beach.
Neil.
Colin Miskelly

Postby Colin Miskelly » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:42 pm

Hi folks

The emperor penguin is now at Wellington Zoo.

Regards
Colin
Byrd

Postby Byrd » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:39 pm

that is good news, hopefully it will survive

news item here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/5185 ... -50-chance
ledzep

Postby ledzep » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:52 pm

Whilst up at Peka Peka beach on Wed morning I was listening to the chatter from the crowd and the theories as to why the Penguin was off-course here in NZ. The most popular theory was that it was driven here by the ash cloud. So if the penguin was indeed flying round at 24,000 feet that would explain why it is now a little tired and feeling sick.
tim

Postby tim » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:03 pm

Thats rite Duncan you would be feeling very sick after that ;)

On another note when I was on Stewart Island 2years back theres a photo of a Emperor/king penguin at halfmoon bay, photo was located in the Doc info centre I cant confirm that it was emperor or King penguin "This wasnt too long ago under 10years" if it is an emperor it would be the third recorded sighting. maybe anyone on Stewart Is could confirm this?
That photo cracked me up because it was pictured heading to the bar.
Tim Rumble

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”