Plumed whistling ducks - Anderson Park, Taradale

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Oscar Thomas

Re: Plumed whistling ducks - Anderson Park, Taradale

Postby Oscar Thomas » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:12 pm

Where do they go because I saw neither this afternoon. 2 Dabchicks on the Southern pond and a juvenile on the Northern. Lots of bellibirds always nice, and a black shag. There was a Spoonbill at Marewa pond, no White herons anywhere.
ledzep

Postby ledzep » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:58 pm

Dianne and I shot up to Anderson Park late afternoon (a few others from the birding conference there too). One of the ducks was swimming around the western side of the little island, the other bird was on the eastern side roosting on the island just visible through the bushes. Good to see they are still around.
PlumedWhistlingDuck.jpg
Plumed Whistling Duck
PlumedWhistlingDuck.jpg (74.73 KiB) Viewed 4062 times
FlyingKiwiGirl

Postby FlyingKiwiGirl » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:00 pm

An update from this morning- I visited the pond and I'm pretty confident (in fact I am certain) that there is now only one plumed whistling duck left on the pond. He/she has been taken 'under the wing' by a pair of aggressive black swans who will chase you if you get close to him. I think he has cottoned on to the fact that they offer security and follows them around on land and water. He swims along behind the pair all over the pond and climbs out when they get out and back in when they do. He walked straight past me at about a metre away while following the swans yet gave me a wide berth when the swans went waddling off in another direction.

Three's company- love is in the air on the pond. That's the plumed whistling duck behind the pair in both photos after they swum over to the north side of the pond.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=5028

download/file.php?mode=view&id=5027

download/file.php?mode=view&id=5029
APLR-5411.jpg
APLR-5411.jpg (496.33 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
APLR-5506.jpg
APLR-5506.jpg (394.81 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
APLR-5535.jpg
APLR-5535.jpg (535.99 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
NZ Forest Birds on Flickr
Look out for the Wetland & Waders, & Seabirds sets too.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:41 pm

One was hanging out with the swans when I was there in June too. He was very timid when away from them, but would swim right up when they were near. No idea how much the protection was costing him. There was definitely a #2 duck there then though.
FlyingKiwiGirl

Postby FlyingKiwiGirl » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:59 pm

I've walked around the pond every day bar 2-3 for the last 3 weeks (it's just around the corner from my parents) and there has only been one duck. Would be great to think one was hiding on the island but I doubt it. Especially as they have always been together whether it was 3 ducks and then 2.
FlyingKiwiGirl

Postby FlyingKiwiGirl » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:07 pm

Well I eat humble pie.....which is good news actually because today I was driving past the park and I couldn't believe my eyes; two plumed whistling ducks grazing right out on the road side with 2 swans (this is a very busy arterial road). One swan gave a duck a drumming on the head and held it down for a couple of seconds when it walked under its neck. Crappy cell phone photo but evidence anyway. So now I wonder if the one that was missing all that time (3 weeks) was sitting on false nest of some sort on the island.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=5078
20160910_135232 (1024x576).jpg
20160910_135232 (1024x576).jpg (459.18 KiB) Viewed 3803 times
Byrd

Postby Byrd » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:18 pm

I like how these ducks' presence gets regularly updated. Often those vagrants which decide to settle over here get a flurry of interest while everybody rushes to see them, but once that's over they more or less get ignored (or at least nobody bothers to mention if they see them because it's "old news"), so it's nice to have these ones kept tabs on.
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:54 pm

Well said Byrd, my sentiments entirely. Thanks FlyingKiwiGirl.
les

Postby les » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:09 pm

the big plus is they are at such a convenient location as well.
sav

Postby sav » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:11 pm

Two PW Ducks still present yesterday - 31 Oct 2016. It was the first time that I had ever seen them more than a couple of feet away from one another, since this time they were each resting on the bank but about 100m apart.
cheers
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”