Nankeen Night Heron Upokongaro

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
sav

Re: Nankeen Night Heron Upokongaro

Postby sav » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:52 pm

Anyone thinking of going should endeavour to get there while the café is open! There is no access to the trees at the back if the place is closed and it seems that 9am to 3pm is winter opening time.
I was very lucky this afternoon (c4pm) to have one of the spotty juveniles in full view from the other side of Upokongaro Stream behind the café, it was more or less over the stream.
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders
imogen

Postby imogen » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:14 pm

Despite the dodgy weather forecast I made the trip today and it was fantastic. Warm sunshine and I saw 4 out of the 5 birds. My first Nankeen night herons and it was absolutely great. This is my favourite pic.
nankeen (200x181).jpg
nankeen (200x181).jpg (68.63 KiB) Viewed 4855 times
FlyingKiwiGirl

Postby FlyingKiwiGirl » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:11 pm

Imogen you've had a "one out of the box" day birding haven't you :) Congrats on two life firsts!
NZ Forest Birds on Flickr
Look out for the Wetland & Waders, & Seabirds sets too.
Colin Miskelly

Postby Colin Miskelly » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:52 am

Hi all

Ormond Torr has just loaded some superb images of adult and immature nankeen night herons taken at Wanganui last month on New Zealand Birds Online: http://www.nzbirdsonline.org.nz/species/nankeen-night-heron

Cheers
Colin
Lena

Postby Lena » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:03 am

Hi, have been up a couple of times and find it is very difficult to get a good shot. Just looked at Ormond Torr's images and they are spectacular.
craigsteed

Postby craigsteed » Sat May 10, 2014 8:57 pm

I thought I'd make a pre-conference visit to the Upokongaro cafe to see what was news about the Nankeen Night Herons. The owners weren't present but after my coffee I wandered out the back and looking up into the tree at the back corner of the cafe I was delighted to see one roosting up there again. It is nearly a year since someone posted about this so I thought this is good news pre-conference.
simon.fordham

Postby simon.fordham » Fri May 30, 2014 3:49 pm

There was a bird present, as described by Craig, yesterday morning. Tricky to photograph though.

The staff there were more than helpful and, although we bought some fare afterwards, there was no suggestion of this being a prerequisite for viewing.

The coffee was good, as was their home-made pie.

Simon
George Hobson

Postby George Hobson » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:20 pm

Hey guys.
I was hoping to do a trip up there with Young Birder early next year, so we were wondering if there were any night herons still left there?
Any help would be appreciated!!!
Latest lifer: Little Shearwater in the Wellington Harbor (168)!
Paul Gibson

Postby Paul Gibson » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:47 am

We were at the cafe this morning and the owner lady said the night herons are still there, they hear them as they depart each evening. I checked the trees but did not see any - they would be well hidden sleeping at that time of day.
Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:58 am

In my opinion it'd be better waiting for the population to boom rather than go looking for them, they are pretty secretive so you'd be beter of waiting for larger numbers. But that's just what I would do.
Latest Lifer: Australian Gull-Billed Tern @ Manawatu Estuary

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”