Manawatu Estuary - 20 Dec

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
sav

Manawatu Estuary - 20 Dec

Postby sav » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:20 pm

Not very much to report, but an increase in numbers of Pacific Golden Plover - up to 11 now (or 10 if one is indeed an AGP as I still suspect). The first few Banded Dotterel have started to pitch up (7 today) and a single returning Wrybill.
Noticeably - no other small shorebirds (no Curlew Sand, Sharp-tailed Sand, Red-necked Stint etc)

No White-eyed Duck, and save one Caspian, no terns of any description (and no frigatebirds, eagles, nor any other vagrant Aussie raptors!!?) .

What I did see at the tip of the spit was a Baron Dragonfly. I don't know how widespread this species is, but I'm pretty sure I've never seen one there before - anyone know much about them?

Merry Christmas everyone. lets hope for some cracking birds in the last few days of the year.
cheers
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders
SomesBirder

Re: Manawatu Estuary - 20 Dec

Postby SomesBirder » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:28 pm

No other terns? How disappointing. I was hoping that I would be able to see the Little Tern that had been reported from there.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”