Glossy ibis

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Will Parsons

Re: Glossy ibis

Postby Will Parsons » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:09 am

I have no knowledge of any Glossy ibis breeding in New Zealand. I have never seen any of the birds here act in a mating or show any interest in each other.
FlyingKiwiGirl

Postby FlyingKiwiGirl » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:53 am

Will Parsons wrote:Yes the gammy leg one is part of this group, Cheers
Will :)

You mean the gammy leg one from Travis? Or is this your own gammy leg bird?
NZ Forest Birds on Flickr
Look out for the Wetland & Waders, & Seabirds sets too.
Will Parsons

Postby Will Parsons » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:02 am

The original bird we saw had a damaged leg (gamy) and that is how we recognise it particularly in flight as it always hangs down. :)
IMG_3391.JPG
IMG_3391.JPG (30.44 KiB) Viewed 4084 times
Will Parsons

Postby Will Parsons » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:12 pm

The 4 ibis have just returned which I saw tonight at 8.45. Exciting news for us. I managed to photo however 6400 ISO not worth putting up however good enough for verification.
bradinho8

Postby bradinho8 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:52 am

Interesting to note the possible colonising behaviour in NZ as this is what has happened over the last couple of decades in the UK culminating in breeding this year :D

See http://www.rspb.org.uk/news/380503-fram ... paign=News
Twitter - @bradinho8 @sthelensbirds
Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/56438958@N05/
Will Parsons

Postby Will Parsons » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:51 pm

Tonight we have 5 Glossy ibis in a wetland that's rapidly drying out. The bird life seems to be increasing so maybe more feed available.
Jan

Postby Jan » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:04 pm

The Otago Region newsletter of Birds NZ www.osnz.org.nz has as its lead article one about Glossy Ibis nesting at Ki-Wainono Lagoon south of Timaru last month.
It's actually in Canterbury, which is why I'm posting it, apart from the fact the authors and most of Otago birders don't seem to do Birding-Nz.net.
Have a look at the article. It doesn't seem like the breeding attempt is successful, just like in the UK, as someone has already said, but I don't know the further details. Nick Allen went there recently for the Feb. wader count but saw no Ibis or Spoonbills.
Clinton9

Postby Clinton9 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:26 pm

These Glossy ibis at Ki-Wainono Lagoon, may be a new young pair that are breeding for first time, but due to inexperience, they may either lost their eggs or chicks, but later this year (Nov or Dec) they will hopefully rear one chick to flying stage, and as they gain experience with rearing their chick, they will be able to breed better on 2006, with 2 or 3 chicks.
These Glossy Ibis had seen White-faced herons, Royal spoonbills, Australian birds in both Australia and New Zealand, so these Glossy ibis will decide not to brother migrate to Australia to breed and start breed in NZ the same way as Royal spoonbills had done before.
Birds that blew from Australia, to NZ, tends to lost their eggs & chicks during first breeding season, but much better off during 2nd breeding season, with chicks reach flying stage.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:02 pm

Jan, I looked at the most recent (January 2015) Otago Region newsletter (http://www.osnz.org.nz/sites/osnz.org.n ... 201501.pdf) but see no mention of ibis. Also checked Nov 2014. Rather than go through the whole lot, can you tell me which issue exactly?
Thanks
Neil
Jan

Postby Jan » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:53 am

Maybe this newest issue hasn't been uploaded yet.
I can send you the attachment I got and you can put it on here if you want, Neil. Sorry I've never mastered doing that.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”