*MEGA* Wilson's Phalarope Ahuriri Napier

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
sav

Re: *MEGA* Wilson's Phalarope Ahuriri Napier

Postby sav » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:26 pm

Hi all,

This is going to sound wierd, and after my initial mis-identification of Ian Smith's photo, one would be forgiven for taking this with a grain of salt - BUT I received a photo tonight via Brent labelled "Phal and Marsh", and I think it shows TWO Wilson's Phalaropes, rather than a Wilson's Phal and a Marsh Sand.

I've sent it to a couple of people who might know, and who might not immediately think I'd gone nuts, and they agree.

I cant forward the photo here because I don't own it and don't know the photographer. Just to make things worse, Brent has just left Dunedin of 10 days or so on the Heritage sub-Antarctic trip with no internet.

I'll go tomorrow and have yet anoher look, but ?????????
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders
David Riddell

Postby David Riddell » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:29 am

Michael wrote:Make sure to notify me when he moves to the Hamilton Lake, or even Miranda. Us Hamiltonians always get the shorter end of the stick.

Hey, we had a Japanese snipe at Forest Lake two years in a row! Before your time I guess, but doesn't seem so long ago to us oldies.:)
phil hammond

Postby phil hammond » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:28 am

In Adam's latest photo above the birds are a bit distant but the swimming bird sure looks like a phalarope and the other one looks long-billed and looks to be feeding more like the phalarope that Sav and I watched than a marsh sand-----I think you are on to something Sav
phil hammond

Postby phil hammond » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:57 pm

cant comment on the photo Sav saw because I havn't seen it but after another look at Adam's picture above---especially legs, They look like Marsh sand on the mat and phalarope in the water

The unusual feeding stance of the Marsh sand perhaps more to do with the stability of the mat
sav

Postby sav » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:35 pm

I've come to the conclusion that the photo that came via Brent probably shows a Wilson's Phal standing on a mat of algae and a Marsh Sand swimming (like a phalarope!!). The photo was apparently taken on Thursday last week - and lots of people have been there since then.

Today the "original" Marshie and Phalarope were both present and obvious.

Another case of a single photo giving a different impression to actual observation.

cheers
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders
Liam Ballard

Postby Liam Ballard » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:09 pm

Good to see I'm not alone, George and Michael. If any Hamiltonians are headed that way, got room for one more? (But don't feel obliged, maybe it will stick around until I get my licence) ☺
Liam Ballard
phil hammond

Postby phil hammond » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:06 pm

Might be obvious, but adding to Sav's comment, it is MUCH easier to identify these birds in the flesh when seeing them moving around for 10 or 15 minutes through good optics than from single photos.
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:57 pm

Lisa and I are down in Napier today so popped in for the phalarope and marshie. Both birds easily located at "The Scrapes" though we're mostly sleeping around 130pm. Might check back later. At least 2 Sharp-tailed sands roosting with grey Teal and Shoveler in South Marsh.

Russ
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:29 pm

Both Phal and Marshie still present at scrapes around 11am today (Friday). Later around 1pm as we left town I quickly ducked over to South Marsh (the wetland on the south side if the Ahuriri outfall channel on the island side of the hwy) and while I once again struck out on Pectoral, there was the Wilson's Phalarope swimming around and then going to sleep amongst a group of grey teal. I didnt have time to check the scrapes to confirm it's the same bird but I would assume! So that's another spot to check if you miss it at the scrapes.

Also of note for the Hawkes Bay (I think), was a Spotted Dove on a roadside wire in Bay View. Doubt very many make it down this far. Last weekend I also had one at Whakamaru Dam which was notable as I rarely come across them south of Cambridge/Matamata.

Russ
tim

Postby tim » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:32 pm

I spent a few hours with the Phalarope today, I haven't really spent a lot of time with this bird even though its just down the road from me.

Russell: I haven't ever seen a spotted dove around here but there is a few Barbary Doves at Bay View
DSC_0289.jpg
DSC_0289.jpg (167.99 KiB) Viewed 2743 times
Tim Rumble

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”