Marsh crake, Ahuriri Napier

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Grahame

Re: *MEGA* Wilson's Phalarope Ahuriri Napier

Postby Grahame » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:34 pm

Hello Wayne. I would love a pdf map also please.
Regards,
Grahame
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:11 pm

Might as well post it here - or start a new crake-related post. (can I have it also please?)
Wayne & Marg Twydle

Postby Wayne & Marg Twydle » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:13 pm

Oscar and Grahame: Have emailed the Ahuriri map to you. Hope you find it useful for whenever you are in Napier.
Regards
Wayne
ourspot

Postby ourspot » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:36 pm

Hi Neil - maybe best to start a new post for the Crakes - didn't mean to hijack the Phalarope posts :)

Cheers Scott
sav

Re: Marsh crake, Ahuriri Napier

Postby sav » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:45 am

I was there at 5.30 pm on Monday for about an hour and the place was crawling with crakes! The water level is just right, and there must have been some pretty successful breeding recently. I can't imagine a better, easier, place for seeing these two species - but it might not last as the water level changes - so hurry!

We managed at least 2 adult and 2 juvenile Spotless Crakes, and at least 2 adult and 3 juvenile Baillon's Crakes. "At least" because we were having almost constant sightings, and there may well have been many more individuals.

The 2 Pectoral, and 3 Sharp-tailed Sands were also present (oh, and the Wilson's Phal....)

cheers
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders
sav

Postby sav » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:18 pm

Two immature Baillon's showing well today at 12.30 (!!) - they clearly haven't read the "Crakes Handbook"...... One Pectoral and 3 Sharp-tailed Sands also present.

cheers
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders
Nikki McArthur

Postby Nikki McArthur » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:48 pm

One spotless crake & one marsh crake showing early this morning (ca 6.30-7am). Really nice to cross paths with Wayne Twydle while there & very grateful to him for showing me the spot!

Two pectoral and three sharp-tailed sandpipers also seen at the western end of Southern Marsh, and distant view of the marsh sandpiper on the way back to the car. No sign of phalarope.

Nikki
tim

Postby tim » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:41 pm

I just wanted some guidance on the plumages of Marsh Crake as there is a lot of conflicting images of adult Marsh Crake that don't look like adults or where ever the NZ sub species goes through a breeding plumage or its just the adult males that get the deep blue on the head and chest.
The adult marsh crakes that I have seen up at Tokanui wetlands and Lake Mcgregor have the deep blue (I know there was different lighting conditions in the photo but many of the adult photos look the same)
Where the ones I have seen at Napier all appear with the Juvenile or sub adult moulting into adult plumage but there could be an breeding plumage that is obtained by adults that due to there cryptic nature no one has identified.

There has defiantly been an variation in plumages and that some of the birds have started developing more blue white on there heads in the last week so the plumages appear to change quickly and the red eyes and speckled chest show up in different lighting conditions.
DSC_6410.jpg
Possible Adult 1st year?
DSC_6410.jpg (185.37 KiB) Viewed 2643 times
DSC_5988.jpg
Juvenile Plumage
DSC_5988.jpg (219.74 KiB) Viewed 2643 times
DSC_4821.jpg
Possible Sub Adult
DSC_4821.jpg (198.67 KiB) Viewed 2643 times
DSC_0530.jpg
Adult Tokanui Wetlands
DSC_0530.jpg (165.65 KiB) Viewed 2643 times
Tim Rumble
Ian Southey

Postby Ian Southey » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:27 pm

Tim

Very impressive collection of pictures. I suspect the birds you have shown in the top three pictures are all young birds in various stages of plumage. I don't actually know Marsh Crakes but have spent a bit of time watching Banded Rails grow up and they take a while to get all the adult features, probably a few months. I started making notes on it last year but haven't actually made it out to see them for a while now...

I would be curious to hear other opinions

Ian
tim

Postby tim » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:45 pm

Thanks Ian, that was what I thought too, I saw an 100% adult Marsh crake this morning and the first one I have seen after spending plenty of time at the spot.
I suspect a lot of people have been getting adults and juveniles mixed up as even NZ birds online has adults labelled incorrectly on some of the photos.
Tim Rumble

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”