Marsh crake, Ahuriri Napier

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
tim

Re: Marsh crake, Ahuriri Napier

Postby tim » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:57 pm

Theres no more spotless there now and very few marsh around either they have been taken by a predator or left the area as stoats have been seen and I saw stoat tracks in the mud this morning at the spot. Its been 3-4 days since my last spotless sighting and I have been spending a lot of hours at the spot.
Tim Rumble
Cheryl Walton

Postby Cheryl Walton » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:42 am

That is a great worry Tim. You would think that with the site being a significant birding area (sign at the gate) that there would be some trapping and monitoring going on (if there is not already). Is it not DOC land?? Should they not be monitoring it?
boneywhitefoot

Postby boneywhitefoot » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:54 am

we were amazed with that too.
hopefully the birds will come back when the water lever drops more
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:06 am

I just looked on DOC Maps and it shows it is DOC managed estate; the Ahuriri Estuary Conservation Area. I imagine it is a low priority (unless someone makes some noise about it), and it would be virtually impossible to protect such a small area from stoats. Managed as part of Cape to City would be a different, much better situation though.
Cheryl Walton

Postby Cheryl Walton » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:13 am

Thanks for that Neil. I just wouldn't understand if there was no trapping in the area with the alledged significance that the sign says at the gate way. I have had contact with a lady from Cape to City so might contact her and see if they are doing anything.
Wayne & Marg Twydle

Postby Wayne & Marg Twydle » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:44 pm

I emailed the Napier office of DOC about a week before Christmas, as we saw a stoat about 100 metres from the crake pond. I have had no reply from DOC yet, but will follow up next week.
Wayne
Colin Miskelly

Postby Colin Miskelly » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:57 am

Two birds showing nicely at 6 am today about 100 m past the previous hotspot, which is now dry.
Colin and Kate
Jim_j

Postby Jim_j » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:49 am

Re the comments regarding contacting DoC because a stoat has been sighted in the area - I can imagine where that sits in the funding priority list!
I'm sure it's on their website how much of the DoC estate receives predator control - it's not that much.

If we want to keep these smaller areas in anything like a natural state it will be up community care groups and the like that will need to take ownership - same as what is happening all round the country - if you use it look after it!

cheers
jim
bobatkinson

Postby bobatkinson » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:10 am

Hi Wayne,
could I trouble you for a PDF of this site please. I have sent you a private email but in case it doesnt make your in box I will try asking here too. Much appreciated.
Thank you
Bob Atkinson
bennydog

Postby bennydog » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:10 pm

Hello Wayne Twydle, Is it possible to send me a PDF map of those birding areas also please.
I would really appreciate it as Im from Gisborne so time is always limited there at Ahiriri..Regards Neil Foster... nfphotog@gmail.com

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”