Unusual parrots near Rotorua

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Unusual parrots near Rotorua

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:55 pm

This morning at 0900 I saw three birds fly over Te Puea Road, east of Lake Rotorua. They were certainly parrots, not any of the usuals, and probably exotic escapes. Flying strongly about 50m high I didn't get much to ID them by. My first thought was something like a ring-necked parakeet. The call was a short screech, repeated every few seconds. They had very long tails (maybe twice the length of a rosella relative to body) and short rounded wings.
It would be interesting if anyone else sees and can ID them. Maybe something blown across the ditch....
Brent Stephenson

Re: Unusual parrots near Rotorua

Postby Brent Stephenson » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:28 pm

More likely your first guess is right - ring-necked parakeet. I was recently told there are some feral birds here in Havelock North. DoC know about it as far as I can understand and hopefully aim to get rid of them before they spread.

Cheers,
Brent Stephenson
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ - Great birds, real birders
Eila

Postby Eila » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:52 pm

Keith Owen from DoC BOP tells me these are very likely to be Indian ring-necked parakeets that have been released illegally in the area from a local aviary a while ago. This free ranging group of birds were brought to our attention a few months ago by a Te Puia Road resident.
Our Rotorua Lakes Area staff were requested to caught these birds and remove them from the wild before they expand around the region, so they are aware of this and have them in their sights.

You may wish to advise Birding NZ subscribers of this.

Regards
Keith
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:42 pm

Thanks Eila.

Does this mean I can tick ring-necked parakeet??? ;)
sav

Postby sav » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:57 am

No! Not in New Zealand anyway....
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders
Brent Stephenson

Postby Brent Stephenson » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:38 pm

Sorry Neil, you'll just have to go to London to tick them...or you could go to India or parts of Africa. BTW the Echo parakeet (Mauritius parakeet), although very closely related, is a much better tick!
Brent Stephenson
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ - Great birds, real birders
phil hammond

Postby phil hammond » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:17 am

there was a breeder in the beachlands area [south east of auck] who released ring necked parakeets--some even bred in the wild and i spoke to many locals that had seen them including a guy i worked with who lived in down the road from beachlands and had a couple sitting on his spouting---that was a couple of years ago and DOC attended to the matter--they are gone---you can understand DOC concern---apart from spreading disease if these things were to breed in the wild like they do in UK they might gather in huge flocks as they do in UK [one roost south of london has several thousand birds]---if you were a berry grower and a couple of thousand parakeets arrived in your orchard you wouldn't be having fun
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:06 pm

One flew over the same place this morning. They must be reasonably settled in the area.
Jan

Postby Jan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:00 pm

This isn't near Rotorua, but it is the same species. Was interested yesterday to see these birds breaking IN to the aviaries at Willowbank wildlife park in Christchurch, to help the Macaws eat their breakfast. Indian Ringnecks are a captive species at this park but quite a few are loose outside the wire and so are a number of Barbary Doves.
Also interesting to see the Crested Pigeons in captivity here. [very close indeed to where the loose ones have been seen on wires in adjoining roads]
Byrd

Postby Byrd » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:24 pm

since when does Willowbank have macaws?

I've said it many times before, but Willowbank is very lax with regards to keeping its animals contained, both historically and currently. The Australian crested pigeons 'wild' in the surrounding area did come from here; there is a kea flying loose in the zoo which has been free for at least two years; the same capuchin monkey has escaped twice.... (I could go on with a long list)

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”