MEGA - Asiatic Dowitcher Motueka Spit. Ho.. Ho.. Ho!

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Steve Wood

MEGA - Asiatic Dowitcher Motueka Spit. Ho.. Ho.. Ho!

Postby Steve Wood » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:54 pm

One bird seen today at high tide 08:00. amongst approximate 1,000 Bar tailed Godwit.
Bird stood out quite well when not roosting...... Small Godwit with straight dark bill.watched for several hours until tide change and then flew of to feed. Will check again tomorrow morning for up date.

There is a Santa after all !
Asiatic Dowitcher (3) Motueka Sandspit Dec 2016..JPG
Asiatic Dowitcher (3) Motueka Sandspit Dec 2016..JPG (238.83 KiB) Viewed 5622 times
AsiaticDowitcher (2)Motueka Sandspit  Dec 2016.JPG
AsiaticDowitcher (2)Motueka Sandspit Dec 2016.JPG (180.71 KiB) Viewed 5622 times
Steve Wood

Re: MEGA - Asiatic Dowitcher Motueka Spit. Ho.. Ho.. Ho!

Postby Steve Wood » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:55 pm

Forgot to mention there is a Common Tern there as well .

Steve
ourspot

Postby ourspot » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:08 am

Great sighting Steve! Another rare species sighting in what seems like an epic vagrant year for NZ.

I’m going to be heading to the Nelson area tomorrow so hopefully I can get the chance to shoot up to Motueka and have a look for the Dowitcher. I haven’t been here before so I had a look on Google Maps and I see the sandspit is quite long, so was wondering if there was a specific spot along the sandpit that the Godwits roost? And for viewing do you walk along the actual sandpit or can they be viewed from the along the town/port area coastline?

Cheers Scott
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:27 am

Yep! Without any inch of doubt whatsoever! I've spent 20 years studying the distribution and ecology of this species in sumatra and these images are the prettiest I've ever seen ! Awesome sighting Steve.
Steve Wood

Postby Steve Wood » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:46 am

Hi Scott, Head for the Motueka Golf course and continue from the town end to the end of the road where it turns sharp right hand bend, turn left here to a small carpark area. The spit is just in front of you and you need to cross the small channel, 50+meters.1.5-2hrs before high tide is best. The spit has recently been split into two at the far end by the sea and is now only half available to walk, without negotiating another deep channel further on.
Once on the spit you can't miss the roost. About 1,000 BT Godwits, I whimbrel, and a hand full of Knot.
At the end of the spit there is a good size White fronted Tern colony 500+ pairs easily, and this morning there was also 1 Little Tern and 2 Common Tern.
Good Luck.

Steve
Asiatic Dowitcher (4) Motueka Sand spit Dec 2016.jpg
Asiatic Dowitcher (4) Motueka Sand spit Dec 2016.jpg (169.52 KiB) Viewed 5389 times
igor

Postby igor » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:39 pm

Great find Steve! I'm hoping to visit on Jan 3, so news from anyone visiting, either positive or negative, over the next week would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
Igor
wghabbott

Postby wghabbott » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:40 pm

How deep is the crossing at high tide?
Steve Wood

Postby Steve Wood » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:42 pm

Hi Bill, I guess it depends on the height of the tide on the day. best to play it safe.Or you can go the long way around and keep dry.

Visited the site this evening about 8.30 pm with Tim Barnard and the bird was still there.
The bird does look extremely settled and I would be quite surprised if it doesn't stay till the end of the season.

Steve
ourspot

Postby ourspot » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:26 pm

Hi Steve. Thanks for the great location info - much appreciated. Unfortunately due to family commitments I've had to leave the region before I got the chance to have a look, tho hopefully I'll get a chance early Jan. I'm sure the info you posted will most useful for anyone else heading out for a look.

Cheers
Scott
Brent Stephenson

Postby Brent Stephenson » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:16 am

Nail it down Steve! ;) I might be making a run for it around 17 Jan!
Brent Stephenson
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ - Great birds, real birders

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”