Stray Crested Grebes in central Canterbury

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
andrewcrossland

Stray Crested Grebes in central Canterbury

Postby andrewcrossland » Mon May 15, 2023 8:08 pm

The autumn migration of crested grebe from inland areas to lake forsyth and lake Ellesmere seems to have more birds falling out and getting lost this year. Phil Crutchley reports 3 on the Bromley Oxidation Ponds and another flew into the side of a house in Rolleston and was taken into care.
AngryBird45

Re: Stray Crested Grebes in central Canterbury

Postby AngryBird45 » Mon May 15, 2023 9:35 pm

andrewcrossland wrote:The autumn migration of crested grebe from inland areas to lake forsyth and lake Ellesmere seems to have more birds falling out and getting lost this year. Phil Crutchley reports 3 on the Bromley Oxidation Ponds and another flew into the side of a house in Rolleston and was taken into care.

I guess Lake Pegasus and Kaiapoi Lakes must be a REALLY good habitat for them, then.
133 birds on my life list since 17 June 2020, latest bird Common Tern.
93 birds on my 2024 year list as of 6:50pm 13 January, latest bird Indian Peafowl.

15 y/o birder from the Waimak and Paradise Shelduck campaigner: facebook.com/paradiseshelduck.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”