Wellington City biodiversity

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Colin Miskelly

Re: Inner city biodiversity

Postby Colin Miskelly » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:53 pm

An immature falcon flew low over me as I walked home through the grounds of Massey University, Wellington (near the top of Taranaki St).

Colin
ledzep

Postby ledzep » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:32 pm

With the strong northerly the Fluttering Shearwaters are out in Wellington harbour again. Flock of 100+ at times easily visible from Queens Wharf, some coming close at times.
Charlotte

Postby Charlotte » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:26 pm

ledzep wrote:With the strong northerly the Fluttering Shearwaters are out in Wellington harbour again. Flock of 100+ at times easily visible from Queens Wharf, some coming close at times.

They were heading towards Petone this morning at around 7.20am, closer to town I saw another flock seemingly not decided on which way to go.
ledzep

Postby ledzep » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:50 am

A Falcon flying low in the Botanic Gardens this morning over Lady Norwood rose gardens and the green grassy area above (east) - just after 8 am. Second time we've seen one in the area in the past 2 weeks.
Colin Miskelly

Postby Colin Miskelly » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:03 pm

Sitting at my desk at Te Papa, Tory St, over-looking the recently opened Arras Tunnel, and an immature New Zealand falcon flew past clutching a starling (and being mobbed by a few others).

Colin
andyf

Postby andyf » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:09 pm

In my lunch time break today in Riddiford Gardens in the centre of Lower Hutt I saw two kakariki fly by. They flew by close to the ground and very quickly so I didn't see details, but I assume they would be red crowned.

There was no obvious sign of a breakout from the aviary, but the nearest suitable bush must be some way away.

Strangely, they were very quiet, I didn't hear any of the usual kakariki chatter.

Andy
SomesBirder

Postby SomesBirder » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:24 pm

andyf wrote:In my lunch time break today in Riddiford Gardens in the centre of Lower Hutt I saw two kakariki fly by. They flew by close to the ground and very quickly so I didn't see details, but I assume they would be red crowned.

There was no obvious sign of a breakout from the aviary, but the nearest suitable bush must be some way away.

Strangely, they were very quiet, I didn't hear any of the usual kakariki chatter.

Andy

Quite sure that the Lower Hutt public aviary does not hold any Kakariki.
ledzep

Postby ledzep » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:56 pm

A lone Fluttering Shearwater feeding beside Hikitea and in front of Te Papa, right beside the wharf area, at lunchtime. Great views of it swimming underwater.
Nikki McArthur

Postby Nikki McArthur » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:19 pm

Nice work-up of seabirds visible from my office window at Centreport (Wellington City waterfront) at the moment: 50-100 wf terns, 1 dark-phase Arctic skua, 1 spotted shag, handful of fluttering shearwaters and black-backed gulls. A nice lunch-time distraction!

Nikki
ledzep

Postby ledzep » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:49 pm

Beside Shed 6, Queens Wharf at lunchtime within 50 metres of each other, 1 Little Shag on the wooden deck by the Kayaks, 1 Little Black Shag on a post, and a pair of Spotted Shags in the water.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”