Wellington City biodiversity

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
CMKMStephens

Re: Wellington City biodiversity

Postby CMKMStephens » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:55 pm

This doesn't seem especially amazing, but it's something new for me: Fantail in the trees on Lambton Quay today (the ones that fill up with Starlings in the evenings)
ledzep

Postby ledzep » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:12 pm

Finally saw the Greylag Goose that Charlotte and others reported seeing. This was on the little beach by Chaffer's Marina. First time I've seen it, but sounds like it has been around in the area for a while.
Goose.jpg
Goose.jpg (51.66 KiB) Viewed 3384 times
Charlotte

Postby Charlotte » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:34 pm

ledzep wrote:Finally saw the Greylag Goose that Charlotte and others reported seeing. This was on the little beach by Chaffer's Marina. First time I've seen it, but sounds like it has been around in the area for a while.

Quite often see it at the lagoon outside the Karaka Cafe as well...sounds like it moves around a bit as haven't seen it that far up at Chaffers.
ledzep

Postby ledzep » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:36 am

Bellbird back in Wellington Botanic Gardens (Lady Norwood gardens area). Seems to be absent in summer.
Peter Hodge

Postby Peter Hodge » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:54 am

This morning, on the Wellington waterfront (by Frank Kitts Park) - a large mixed flock of Fluttering Shearwaters, White-fronted Terns, Red-billed Gulls, Black-backed Gulls, and a Little Black Shag, attacking fish very close to shore. A nice sight to start the day.
ledzep

Postby ledzep » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:47 pm

Still a good flock of 20-30 Fluttering Shearwaters plus the White-fronted Terms about 100+ metres off from Te Papa. One Fluttering Shearwater right up beside overseas terminal wharf. Also a Spotted, Pied and Little Black Shag in Chaffer's Marina. Greylag goose also still there, and small flock of Goldfinches still on the grass behind Chaffer's Dock apartments.
ourspot

Postby ourspot » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:06 pm

Hi Ledzep. I was at the same place at about the same time as you yesterday outside Te Papa. The shearwaters and terns were having a great time in that area for at least an hour while I was there. Also saw the Greylag, 2 Spotted Shags, Little pied and little black shags. The day before on Petone foreshore I watched a flock of approx 50 little black shags working as one great attack team on whatever was below. Quite a sight. Haven't done much birding in Wellington so was impressed with the range I saw. Also saw a couple of albatross and a giant petrel way out on the horizon from Moa Point. Albatrosses were too far away to confirm species.
ledzep

Postby ledzep » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:29 pm

I'm seeing and hearing Eastern Rosella regularly in Lady Norwood Rose Gardens in Botanic Gardens at the moment.
Olwen

Postby Olwen » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:00 am

Eastern Rosellas usually come to our place on the hills above Island Bay for the apples in autumn, but this year have hung about right through the winter.
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:45 am

A bit late I'm afraid, but I have just looked at the photo of the Greylag and sorry to say, it is not a pure goose as it shows many signs of being feral, most notably in its shape and posture.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”