Terek Sandpiper + 2 Australian Gull-billed Terns, Motueka Sandspit

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Michael Szabo

Terek Sandpiper + 2 Australian Gull-billed Terns, Motueka Sandspit

Postby Michael Szabo » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:49 pm

Mark Ayre reports a Terek Sandpiper and 2 Australian Gull-billed Terns at Motueka Sandspit today:
https://ebird.org/newzealand/checklist/S161367524
'Birds New Zealand' Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Birdsnewzealand
BerndHuss

Re: Terek Sandpiper + 2 Australian Gull-billed Terns, Motueka Sandspit

Postby BerndHuss » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:36 pm

Someone needs to nail it down for me. I cannot make it there before the weekend and if there is one bird on my need to get list, it's the Terek.
BerndHuss

Postby BerndHuss » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:45 pm

Tried my luck to find the Terek yesterday and today. No luck yesterday morning, timing was not good with the tide outgoing and very few birds around.
Today was a different story, with two seperate sightings, first it mingled with the Banded Dots and later it hung out with 50 Turnstones. Also there was 1 Whimbrel among 1000+ Bar-tailed Godwits, a juvenile Black-fronted Tern, an adult with one juv. White-fronted Terns, 2 Caspian Terns and usual high number of SIPOs and Variable Oystercatchers. Surprisingly not a single Knot present.
IMG_5435.JPG
IMG_5435.JPG (132.83 KiB) Viewed 561 times
IMG_5414.JPG
IMG_5414.JPG (267.48 KiB) Viewed 561 times
Adam C

Postby Adam C » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:32 pm

Great stuff Bernd. A great bird to get!
“Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”

Samuel Ullman
BerndHuss

Postby BerndHuss » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:55 pm

Thank you, Adam. It certainly made my day.
mark ayre

Postby mark ayre » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:10 am

BerndHuss wrote:Tried my luck to find the Terek yesterday and today. No luck yesterday morning, timing was not good with the tide outgoing and very few birds around.
Today was a different story, with two seperate sightings, first it mingled with the Banded Dots and later it hung out with 50 Turnstones. Also there was 1 Whimbrel among 1000+ Bar-tailed Godwits, a juvenile Black-fronted Tern, an adult with one juv. White-fronted Terns, 2 Caspian Terns and usual high number of SIPOs and Variable Oystercatchers. Surprisingly not a single Knot present.

nice photos :D

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”