Carolina wood ducks, Hamilton

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Ian Southey

Re: Carolina wood ducks, Hamilton

Postby Ian Southey » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:35 am

These guys seem to be in a big hurry to get to our feral future. Do you think they'd be happier if we housed them in an aviary at the zoo while the rest of us keep trying to look after the better stuff we already have?

Ian
Jake

Postby Jake » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:23 am

I'm neutral to them becoming established. Their niche is pretty different to our ducks already here, and in their homeland I imagine they rely heavily on woodpecker holes and nestboxes. Looking back on how difficult it was to get mallards a foothold in NZ, I don't think it's too likely that Carolina ducks will ever become well established in any region in this country: it's too much work and they're too highly valued in aviculture. I have liberated maybe 20-30 golden pheasants and a friend as released closer to 80-100, they live a few years and sometimes even nest but yeah, nothing much comes of these projects
Cowteam

Postby Cowteam » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:28 pm

Hi , I am very interested in acquiring the name & no of the guy in Hamilton who breedes Carolina and mandarin ducks please.my email is cowteam@xtra.co.nz
Many thanks Marty.
rukuhia wrote:My neighbor over the back breeds them for sale along with Mandarin ducks. He releases the odd few but most are killed by hawks or botulism he said, consequently his clients are generally back for more after a few months. The prices ranges from $100 - $ 200 each!
takoda farm

Postby takoda farm » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:52 pm

Hi Cowteam
Did you ever get the name from rukuhia for the guy over the back fence that breeds mandarin ducks. I am after a drake to go with my hen.
Many thanks Norman.
rukuhia

Postby rukuhia » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:05 pm

Sorry no I havent yet, but I will pop down and see if he still has any available.
Bob Rigter
rukuhia

Postby rukuhia » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:01 pm

He doesn’t have any at the moment but after breeding in September both Carolina and mandarin are available in December. Try him at 07 843 4880
Bob Rigter
GameGirl

Postby GameGirl » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:58 am

rukuhia wrote:My neighbor over the back breeds them for sale along with Mandarin ducks. He releases the odd few but most are killed by hawks or botulism he said, consequently his clients are generally back for more after a few months. The prices ranges from $100 - $ 200 each!

Hi there,
I seen you post and was just wondering if you still have contact details for your neighbor that breeds the Carolina wood ducks? I have a breeding pair but would like another pair. Many thanks Sarah
rukuhia

Postby rukuhia » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:32 pm

try the number above.
Bob Rigter
GameGirl

Postby GameGirl » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:13 am

Thanks heaps for that Rukuhia, I’ll give him a call. Much appreciated
mpp26

Postby mpp26 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:31 pm

As an addition to the Hamilton topic, have seen two female Carolina wood ducks at Styx wetland in Christchurch with a duckling.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”