Northern Shoveler, Invercargill

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Liam Ballard

Re: Northern Shoveler, Invercargill

Postby Liam Ballard » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:58 pm

Interesting stat Clinton. I had no idea that they could fly so fast! However, you might have missed that the shoveler were seen practically next to each other, so I don't think that they can move that fast :)

Unless I read the post wrong myself of course.
Liam Ballard
Neil Robertson

Postby Neil Robertson » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:21 am

Thanks Liam - you did not read the post incorrectly. There were TWO adult male Northern Shovelers swimming together in the 'south-west' settling pond on Saturday afternoon. They are not always together though - I was at Tip Lagoon on Monday evening and there was only one Northern Shoveler present.
Neil Robertson
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great birds, real birders
erikforsyth

Postby erikforsyth » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:16 pm

Hi neil

where is Tip lagoon?

Cheers
Erik forsyth
Rockjumper Birding Tours
www.rockjumperbirding.com
pjacques

Postby pjacques » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:29 pm

Hi Erik,
The Tip Lagoon is on your right immediately before you leave Invercargill heading to Bluff on SH1. You can't miss it, you can see it from the road. There is a walking track the whole way round including a boardwalk that crosses the southern portion of the lagoon. It is a fantastic site. At lunchtime today both drake Northern Shoveler were present on the Tip Lagoon but not consorting, one on one side, one on the other. I searched for the Whiskered Tern but drew a blank. There are lots of birds down there at the moment including a big flock of black-billed gulls, the odd Caspian Tern, 40 or more Bar-tailed Godwits, lots of Pied Stilts paired up and displaying, and a big mixed flock of wildfowl. I also had cracking views of a pair of fernbirds in the Toetoes at the North end of the lagoon.

Enjoy your trip,

Cheers
Paul Jacques
erikforsyth

Postby erikforsyth » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:29 pm

Hi Paul

Many thanks for the details.

Best wishes
Erik forsyth
Rockjumper Birding Tours
www.rockjumperbirding.com
Neil Robertson

Postby Neil Robertson » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:17 pm

Hi Paul,
Thanks for responding to Erik. I will see him in Te Anau in a few days and give him info about the Settling Ponds also. Also thanks for confirming that there are two individuals present; I think that other than Phil Rhodes and myself, you are the only other person to see both birds at the same time.

Question for Sav or anyone else on the 'Rarities Committee' - Clearly the responsibility for completing an unusual bird report for the first siting lies with Richard. But do I need to complete a separate report for the second bird?

And yes I know it will be impossible for me to know which one Richard saw, so I can never be sure I am describing the other one - they both looked very similar to me.

Any advice welcome
Neil Robertson
Colin Miskelly

Postby Colin Miskelly » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:39 am

Hi Neil

The simple answer is that multiple Unusual Bird Reports from different observers for the same bird is better than none at all. In this case, there should be a UBR for the 2 birds (seen together) submitted. If Richard submits a UBR for the original sighting, they will be assigned the same number (with 'a', 'b' suffix etc), and Richard's name will be listed first in any summary report.

Birds NZ developed the UBR online database http://rare.birds.org.nz/ so that you can save it to your favourites and rapidly check whether anyone has submitted a UBR for the rarity you have just twitched. And if no-one has, then please do so to ensure that the sighting becomes part of the official record of accepted vagrant birds in New Zealand.

Many thanks
Colin
Neil Robertson

Postby Neil Robertson » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:56 pm

Northern Shoveler still present on Tip Lagoon at northern end from 1100.
Neil Robertson
Tim Barnard

Postby Tim Barnard » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:06 pm

Just back to yesterday ... the Northern Shoveler was present from about 1.30pm to 7pm continuously. No sign of the second bird at the ponds or the lagoon.
Cheers
Tim
Wandoona

Postby Wandoona » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:51 pm

No luck this evening ( late afternoon)

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”