Glossy Ibis nesting Wairau Lagoons

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
fras444

Re: Glossy Ibis nesting Wairau Lagoons

Postby fras444 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:41 am

Now that it's in it second year as breedin, it's fair to say that they are native but it's interesting when a species does fall on to that "OFFICIAL"... NZ Birdsonline/ DOC "native" list.... can one become instantly native in it's first breeding year to then fall off when the species die out??? for example.... The Horay greabe or, does a species have to have a couple of years breeding under the belt... or... at least, to have it's young breeding, to become native???

I've heard the isbis mentioned now as native, our "newest native species" by the bug man.... funny, a term that was used by wingspan to promote the barn owl and on bird of the year etc.. but..... This term seems to have been lost on this, just as important/amazing newest arrival to our avian collection.... The Glossy Isbis...... although....
Is it now the wood duck, our newest native species?????
fras444

Re: Glossy Ibis nesting Wairau Lagoons

Postby fras444 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:29 pm

I call this Frasers 5 steps to becoming endemic species

1.Native Coloniser
A bird become a Coloniser native when they get here on their own and once they have successfully bred and got a few generations going Barn Owl, Wood duck, Glossy Isbis

2. Native... once a bird has been here for a couple of human generations. When we forget that a bird flew over from Australia and that bird loses its coloniser tag and becomes a native species. Silvereye, white faced heron, pied stilts and Grey teal are some examples

3. True Natives.
This next step is what I call the true natives. Birds that have been around for a very long time and have begun showing the beginning stages of the transition phase. Where birds such as harriers Pukekos start showing a few unique behavioral changes and start heading into the subspecies bracket.

4. Are you a Native or a Subspecies
This section we see birds that have been in NZ for a very long time and potentially have started the process in becoming a Subspecies.... Not sure if this is argued in the scientific community but birds like the kingfisher and shovler get the NZ in the front and have potentially started showing signs in different colours and behaviours. Grey duck is another species that I guess has never quite been officially regarded as a Subspecies??? Are Fantails and Moreporks still in this category or inbetween this and step 5????

5. Subspecies.
I guess this is the 5th and final step before becoming a fully fledged endemic species.
From what I understand... to become a Subspecies you need to have clear genetic/DNA differences to a species you originate from and have some behavioral/colour and or size differences.....???? Pied shag, Red-billed gull and Fairy tern to name a few... In regards to the Fairy tern... You are also entitled to some DOC support should you be in need of it?

I'm no scientist but this is what I came up with a long time ago and it would be awesome if some expert filled in the gaps or corrects this in anyway. :) ;)

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”