Golden Plover species? on NZ Birders Facebook

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
erikforsyth

Golden Plover species? on NZ Birders Facebook

Postby erikforsyth » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:16 am

Hi all

have a look at the golden plover posted on NZ Birders Facebook page. Quite a thickset bird with strong eyebrow.

cheers
Erik Forsyth
Rockjumper Birding Tours
www.rockjumperbirding.com
Davidthomas

Re: Golden Plover species? on NZ Birders Facebook

Postby Davidthomas » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:28 am

Yeah... I thought the same Eric, very dainty bill, long legs and petite rounded head. Potentially the same bird from the last few years at Foxton we've never come to a concensus on.

Edit appears I'm talking about a completely different bird from the one you were.

Just seen Rias photos now. I agree looks very weird, but unsure what else it could be bar a heavy set pgp? Europeans look smaller and much daintier, and an AGP would look similar regarding bill length.

My only thought was Grey plover?
Michael Szabo

Postby Michael Szabo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:20 am

'Birds New Zealand' Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Birdsnewzealand
Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:36 pm

Davidthomas wrote:My only thought was Grey plover?

It is interesting how the dark on the flanks goes up to the wings, but I just don't think this bird has the giss to be conclusively called anything really unless we can get a better photo. Until then, best to stay safe with a Pacific Golden Plover 8-)
Latest Lifer: Australian Gull-Billed Tern @ Manawatu Estuary
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:30 pm

Just for the record, (sorry David), to quote from the Collins European Bird Guide on the PGP, "similar to Golden Plover, (European) size and structure differing in following ways: slightly smaller and slimmer-bodied" Until a few years ago, the P & A GP's were known as Lesser Golden Plover.
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:44 pm

No worries I'm happy to be corrected Grahame. I just remember from the birds I saw a few months back their proportions looked different, with a comparatively smaller bill and a much more rounded dainty looking head.
ourspot

Postby ourspot » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:30 pm

Went down to check out the plovers today. Just as we arrived it started pouring down which made it very tricky to get any good ID shots. We found a group of 12 plovers which all appeared to be Pacific Golden which were busily feeding on the paddock (which was a few km inland). Most of them were very dull colour though not grey, but not as much golden tint as I'm used to seeing on them. One benefit of the rain was they would regularly shake their wings to get the rain off so got to see underwing on many of them and none of the ones we noticed had black armpits or white rumps. Here's a couple of pics from the visit.

Cheers Scott
Pacific Golden Plover_Ruakaka_Nov17_IMG_4414.jpg
Pacific Golden Plover_Ruakaka_Nov17_IMG_4414.jpg (615.02 KiB) Viewed 2353 times
Pacific Golden Plover_Ruakaka_Nov17.jpg
Pacific Golden Plover_Ruakaka_Nov17.jpg (514.58 KiB) Viewed 2353 times

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”