White-winged Black Tern - Tokaanu Wharf

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Tim Barnard

White-winged Black Tern - Tokaanu Wharf

Postby Tim Barnard » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:26 pm

Yep as from the YB Spoonbill thread - one White-winged Black Tern in breeding plumage hawking the far shore. Loretta and I saw it twice from both the old and new wharf. Russ missed it by seconds. Literally.

Started this thread as I was wondering whether they could be breeding down there. This bird appeared to be in pristine BP. Might be a nice little project to follow up on ...

Cheers
Tim
tim

Re: White-winged Black Tern - Tokaanu Wharf

Postby tim » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:04 pm

Hi Tim, you dont think that the WWBT could have been the whiskered tern as when I was watching it yesterday it did look like the breeding plumage wwbt that I have seen in different lighting condition sunny and cloudy.
The grey on its chest and throat looks black from a distance.
Tim Rumble
Tim Barnard

Re: White-winged Black Tern - Tokaanu Wharf

Postby Tim Barnard » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:16 pm

Hey Tim
Sorry for the late response I've been away for a bit. That's a fair question. But. You would not believe how hard I tried to turn a wwbt into a whiskered. I would have loved to have called Steve Wood for the third time to say I'm looking at a WT where are you?
They are out there ... Lake Taupo is a big lake. CNI is a big area to cover.
Cheers
Tim

ps Marsh Terns are amongst my favourites of any group of birds.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”