Common Myna range spreading south?

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Michael Szabo

Common Myna range spreading south?

Postby Michael Szabo » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:00 pm

Two sightings of Common Myna south of Foxton have been reported on the New Zealand Birders Facebook group. Michael Burton-Smith reports seeing one on 27 March 2016 slightly north of Waikanae. Sharon Bond reports seeing, "one or two on the side of the main highway coming towards Otaki" yesterday.
Last edited by Michael Szabo on Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
'New Zealand Birders' Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/857726274293085
philbattley

Re: Common Myna spreading south

Postby philbattley » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:52 am

I think they are becoming more frequent in Dannevirke also, on the other side of the ranges.
Phil
Jake

Postby Jake » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:39 pm

I've only ever seen a few mynas (two at a time max) at Foxton, near the roundabout on Lady Mile where the Canary Island phoenix palms are.

Won't be too long before we see rosellas frequently in Dannevirke too I reckon; I'd be a little surprised if they've not visited there yet. I see that they (rosellas) range to Onga Onga and I've seen them often at the bridge cafe, near Woodville and very near Pahiatua. Species with changing ranges are good ones that I'll always try to lodge sightings for
terryow

Postby terryow » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:52 pm

there's probably a dozen or so mynas in Foxton.
Besides the ones on Lady's Mile and Robinson Street, we've had some here near the Whyte street/SH1 intersection for a couple of years now.
But today I saw one fly onto the Tasman takeaways roof (Petrol station South end of Foxton) I think it came from the water tower park.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”