Laughing gull in breeding plumage, Opotiki

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
erikforsyth

Re: Laughing gull in breeding plumage, Opotiki

Postby erikforsyth » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:06 pm

Hi all

here's another pic!

Erik Forsyth
Rockjumper Birding Tours
www.rockjumperbirding.com
IMG_5273.JPG
IMG_5273.JPG (203.24 KiB) Viewed 2583 times
Byrd

Postby Byrd » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:51 am

I'm thinking about heading up there in the next week or so - is the mentioned Opotiki Wharf at Opotiki itself, or is it at Hikuwai Beach? And is it possible to walk from Opotiki to Hikuwai Beach along the shore (it looks on Google like there are a couple of streams in the way), or conversely how far is it if walking by road from Opotiki?
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:46 am

The Opotiki wharf mentioned is just off Wharf road in Opotiki itself, while the beach mentioned is further west down the coast with the large carved poles.

And I suspect it isn’t possible to walk from Opotiki to Hukuwai beach due to the Opotiki river being rather large and not able to be crossed due to depth
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:48 am

There seems to be a lot of confusion about these locations (Not surprising really as it's a complicated place), so I have attached an image with explanations to clear things up.
Opotiki Gull.PNG
Opotiki Gull.PNG (453.17 KiB) Viewed 2452 times

Hikuwai Beach is EAST of Opotiki with the primary access point being off SH35 where it first comes close to the ocean. This is where the bird has most frequently been seen this month as it's a popular spot for locals and tourists to fish, play, and most importantly--eat takeaways.

LAST summer, the bird was first discovered at a rest stop at the Waiotahe estuary mouth (far left on this map). It appeared off and on, but was also seen at times along Waiotahe Beach (which is the beach running along SH2 between the Waiotahe and Waioeka River mouths). Access for that is at several points along the hwy. To my knowledge, the bird has NOT been seen at these locations so far this December (But it likely pops in as it's not far from the other sites).

Opotiki Wharf is indeed right in town as David mentioned, NW of downtown, where the Waioeka and Otara Rivers converge. It seems this is still a frequently used spot by the bird as it became the primary location toward the end of last summer, and Tim R saw it there several times a week ago.

It IS actually possibly to walk from Opotiki Wharf to Hikuwai Beach via the pedestrian bridge (marked in red). There are biking/walking trails that criss-cross the area (You can make them out on the map). On this image, 1 cm = roughly 250m. Having a bike would be ideal, or driving is easy, but walking between those two points would be fine (But it would be a longer trip to get to Waiotahi since the SH2 bridge is the only one that crosses the Waioeka.

I've marked the Waioeka/Otara river mouth with a question mark as I don't think anyone has checked out there (Requires more of a walk). I have seen large concentrations of all 3 NZ gull species out there in all tides, and given that it's central to all the sites, the gull presumably transits through that spot.

Finally, be aware that last summer, Tern Island (aka 'Whangakopikiopiko) at the east end of Ohiwa Harbour (just west of the Top10 Holiday Park) was frequently used as a high tide roost site by the Laughing Gull--though this has not been obsvered this time around.

Hopefully this helps!

Russ C
Byrd

Postby Byrd » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:49 am

Thanks Russ, that is exactly what I needed.

I'm not sure if my best strategy, given I'd be limited on time and would be on foot, would be to just wait at the wharf (which would be easiest) or walk out to Hikuwai Beach and hang out there (which seems most likely to succeed).
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:56 am

I’d say Hukuwai beach is your best bet given the current timings. Depends on when you’re there? I’d be happy to give you a ride on the 30th as I’ll be heading down to go see him (in whakatane for New Years)
Byrd

Postby Byrd » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:18 pm

Thanks David, I'm not sure when I'll be there. I'm thinking the 31st or 1st - but I haven't worked it out yet...

Looking on Google maps, using Russ' markers, it isn't far at all to walk between the wharf and Hikuwai Beach.
David Riddell

Postby David Riddell » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:40 pm

Checked out Hukuwai Beach at about midday. No laughing gull so tried out the wharf, also the Wharf Rd-Princess St corner. Again no joy, so after lunch gave Hukuwai one more go, still with no success. Heading home (from Gisborne) on Wednesday, so will try again then.
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:42 pm

When I saw it at Hukuwai Beach, there were only red and Black billed there, until I produces my bread, then hey presto, from out of nowhere more gulls including the Laughing, so I definitely recommend taking a cheap loaf with you. I have also found this essential when seeing them in other countries, it then becomes very tame. God luck,
Grahame
David Riddell

Postby David Riddell » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:17 pm

Went back to Hukuwai Beach and the wharf today, this time with some bread and left-over Christmas ham! Just a very few gulls on the beach, all looking rather well-fed, the only bird that flew in when I started tossing out treats was a variable oystercatcher - not sure what it was after, unsurprisingly it didn't go for the bread and ham. Carried on to the wharf, where there were more gulls, but none of them laughing, then checked out the beach west of Opotiki from the totem poles to the Waiotahi Inlet. Still no sign.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”